Do you take payment/deposit on first day of settling in?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you take payment/deposit on first day of settling in?

I have a wee one coming for the first time this MOnday for first day of settling in, then Tuesday, then Wednesday (all settling for a couple of hours a day). Starts a week on MOnday, 3 full days. £97.50 a week.

Due to this start on Monday I have turned down 2 children 2 days a week(April start) and at least 6 other children 2 days a week come August.

I am going with this one as wee one is starting now. Anyhow, if things fall through or wee one doesn't settle or anything really, I have lost tons of potential business. The April start was a cert really.

I am going to email parent now asking for a months fee's as a deposit (£390, refundable when child leaves me) and I would like that on MOnday when they are coming to sign contract, policies and have first settling in session. Then the following week when child starts officially I want a month's fee's in advance, or a weeks fee's in advance, depending on how they are paying me.

Obviously I don't know parents exact financial position but both are secondary school teachers so should be able to afford it.

Do childminders ask for this before they start settling in session? Or usually once they actually start minding? Thanks.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I do 4 weeks fees, as deposit, refundable against first month's fees, on day of contract signing 'to secure the place'.

For me it is: deposit + contracts signed + policies/permissions agreed = place secure.

Not refundable if parents change their mind before care starts.

(Then I do a few free short visiting-sessions to help settle the child)

3. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Feb 97
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I ask for £100 deposit if the care dosent start for a while, more than 4 weeks away, then fees in advance when child starts, the £100 is then deducted off the last months fee they are with me. If the care starts within 4 weeks it's just normal month in advance with no deposit.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Have you told the parents before now that you were expecting this amount from them.

Because Im assuming you also want your fees in advance regardless of good jobs or not people may struggle to find you that amount of money if they have budgeted for it.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I take 2 weeks deposit which I expect at the time the contracts are signed. No settling in before I have that. Then payment in advance for care usually monthly but I don't mind if someone wanted weekly / fortnightly.

xxxx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I take 2 weeks deposit on completion of contract before child starts but this is then deducted off first invoice, I charge hourly for all settling in hours and add this to the first months invoice which is payable in advance

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

I always get my money before the child comes, either for settling in sessions or for starting - I always tell the parents what payment I expect well in advance. If you havn't told them yet - it may well be a bit of an unprofessional surprise for them - not that I don't agree with your charges - I think they are fine - what I have trouble with is that you havn't told the parents your expectations of payment. And maybe something to think on in future.

pre reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. Settling in starts on Monday. I will get contract signed on Monday. I will just have to trust them this time and hope for the best.

I will tell them on Monday that I would like one months payment in advance (or week, depending how they are paying) the following Monday, when paid care is to start from.

Thanks again and I will be quicker off the mark next time. They only phoned on Wednesday night as I was going out the door, to ask if I could start a week on MOnday, with settling in sessions starting this MOnday. I tried to tell Mum I would call back on my return home but she wanted it done and dusted on the phone.

Anyhow, I will be wiser next time.

Thanks again.

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh it has been rushed and it sounds like you have been bamboozled somewhat so in this case stick to your original plan and go for the month in advance and month deposit held to end of contract. If they cant afford it now they probably will say that I would insist on month in advance + 1 week for the next four months and then the 4 weeks over payment is your deposit held until end of contract.

I am always wary of childcare that is left until the last minute and rushed like this, make sure you get your money in advance and on your terms for your own sake. These are professional people and so are you so don't devalue yourself. They are going to have to cough up and be thankful they have found you. I wonder why they have been so rushed and rushing you!?

pre reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Mum, Gran and wee one came for a visit about 3 weeks ago. Mum sounded as if she liked me etc. for first 10 mins of visit but then got disappointed when I wouldn't guarantee that when wee one turns 3 I would definately be able to do his nursery run (it is 3rd nursery away from my house).

Mum became upset when I asked about the 3rd question about the previous childminder (wee one had been with a childminder until xmas). Mum apologised and said the childminder became very ill and had to stop watching wee one. Mum seemed genuinely upset for previous childminder, she said she was so upset because she had driven past her house to get to mine and it made her think about her etc. I got the impression illness is incurable or terminal

Anyhow, Mum was fine after that but I felt visit ended abruptly and didn't expect to hear back from her at all. Her husband phoned 2 weeks later and him and wee one came Monday just gone. He stayed for 10 mins at most and away they went. He said he had been working from home since xmas and they hoped this would help cover the childcare but he was finding it impossible. Mum then phoned me Wednesday evening. As I said Dad gave no indication that they would be back in contact so I was not expecting to be asked. Also, I think they might have struggled to find any other local childminder with availability on those 3 consecutive days.

I have turned down 2 siblings who were signing up with me this Thursday (to start April) because this wee boy takes a space I needed for one of the siblings. I do have other business that I am turning away which made me more inclined to ask for at least a months fee's in advance on MOnday during settling in.

Think I have left it too late now and I will ask them for the month in advance to be paid to me the following MOnday.
    Thanks for reading all this!!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Whatever you decide to get up front in the way of money needs to be paid at the same time as the contract is signed. I know CMs who had signed contracts, child info, consents, the lot - everything except for the money. Children did 'settling in visits' then the CM never saw the mum again. Nice bit of free babysitting whilst mums went shopping - game over.

It's impossible to say how much people can afford. Even so-called "professionals" can be cash-poor, in that they are highly likely to stretch their finances to the limit with mortgages, loans, credit/store-cards all over the place. You either need to decide what you want and stick with it, or decide the amount you'd like and how much leeway you permit. But if you let the clients call all the shots, you will one day live to regret it.

Btw, one of the first unwritten rules of CMing is "there is no such thing as a dead cert." it's not uncommon to find the volume of enquiries you get will tend to be 'feast or famine' with nothing in between. It's just the nature of the business.

Hope it all works out well.

Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with others about making sure you take a deposit as soon as someone says they definitely want a place! For me I make this clear on the first visit that a place is not secure until I have a minimum of 2 weeks fees held and the contract signed. I am then happy to arrange visits and the deposit is taken off the first months fees. Fees are always payable in advance before a child starts. I would consider weekly but again always in advance.
    If I were you I would be contacting the parent now to confirm you will be expecting the contracts signing and payment to be made asap.

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yep, I agree with the others, nothing is guaranteed until money has changed hands and contracts have been signed, then arrangements can be made for settling in

pre reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again everyone. I emailed the Dad on Thursday night asking if they could swap one of the days (as I know Gran watches on days I don't have wee one) this would have allowed me to take on another mindee. Dad emailed me back on the Friday saying they couldn't swap days. Fair enough.

I emailed Dad today asking for a month's fee's tomorrow and contract etc. signing tomorrow and then I would keep wee one for a couple of hours for first settling in (settling in was arranged for tomorrow). I explained months fee's would cover my month in advance. Anyhow, have heard nothing so here's hoping he still turns up tomorrow morning as arranged.

I do think he will turn up tomorrow with wee one, I will keep you all updated and thanks again. You live and learn.

I have another Mum wanting her baby to start with me in August. I emailed her today asking her to come tomorrow to sign contract and with a month's fee's which would be non refundable if she doesn't use me. She has emailed me back and asked to come at 12pm tomorrow. Hopefully I will secure at least one of these parents tomorrow but two of the would be excellent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trickiedickie View Post
    Thanks again everyone. I emailed the Dad on Thursday night asking if they could swap one of the days (as I know Gran watches on days I don't have wee one) this would have allowed me to take on another mindee. Dad emailed me back on the Friday saying they couldn't swap days. Fair enough. I emailed Dad today asking for a month's fee's tomorrow and contract etc. signing tomorrow and then I would keep wee one for a couple of hours for first settling in (settling in was arranged for tomorrow). I explained months fee's would cover my month in advance. Anyhow, have heard nothing so here's hoping he still turns up tomorrow morning as arranged. I do think he will turn up tomorrow with wee one, I will keep you all updated and thanks again. You live and learn. I have another Mum wanting her baby to start with me in August. I emailed her today asking her to come tomorrow to sign contract and with a month's fee's which would be non refundable if she doesn't use me. She has emailed me back and asked to come at 12pm tomorrow. Hopefully I will secure at least one of these parents tomorrow but two of the would be excellent.
    Well done for asking for what you want, hope he turns up tomorrow and so does other mum good luck!

17. Likes bunyip liked this post
    pre reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Update.

An hour after I started this thread the Mum wanting space in August text me asking for my bank details. 10 mins later a payment in my account for first month's fee (she knows non refundable if place not taken). She came over the next day and signed contract. I am delighted, to say the least.

Next day settling in child arrived. Parent said they hadn't seen my email the previous day asking for the deposit. Anyhow he came in the next day and said wife had tried to pay me through vouchers but couldn't. (I'm not registered with that voucher scheme). Anyhow I've just checked my account and their deposit is in too. No contract signed but pretty sure they will on Monday (especially since I have the money).

Thank you all so much for your help. It is so daunting as I have noone else to ask and I think I would be sinking here.

No doubt I will be on with all the next probs I have. Thank you

19. Likes lynncjt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's fantastic news well done!! Bodes well for the future if they paid so quickly,
    Delighted for you!