Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snacks

Registered Childminder since
    Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Snacks

The main reason I am thinking of doing this is basically the huge volume of snack that my kids waste and it drives me insane,
    I buy all the snack just out of my shopping budget a week
    Example was that last week I did hot cross buns for snack,
    1 told me that they were not fond of the sultanas inside --- & that was ok
    However two kids picked up one each, one took a mouse finger pick and then didn't want it, trying to put it back on the plate the other did the same and then licked the whole top putting it back on the plate

My frustration was that the other 3 kids I had could have had extra had the other two not picked and the other licked.

I am getting very fed up of buying snacks for them to get wasted and binned like this.
    And was thinking of either asking parents to supply because of the constant waste or charge a little extra?

I currently charge £4 ph

I know local council nurseries charge snack fees
    But not sure how private nurseries work

How do u all work this, is this built into your fee per hour?

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine is built in but I offer fruit.

The behaviour the 2 mindees showed would not have gone down well with me either. How old are they? Also did you offer an alternative?

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine is built into my £3.75 an hour fee - If I have 3 children then I chop up 4 pieces of fruit eg: satsuma, banana, apple or replace a piece of fruit with handful of grapes or blueberries - they also have milk which I get free. I sometimes then offer breadsticks or crackers depending on how close to lunch it is as sometimes if we have been doing craft then snack is a bit delayed. I have tried hot cross buns and crumpets for snacks but can't seem to find anything that all the children like so just give them big portion of fruit.

4. Likes AliceK liked this post
    May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't have offered a whole hot cross bun in the first place.

Cut them into quarters and then they can have more if they want of if they don't like/want it then less is wasted.

6. Likes tulip0803, Maza, FloraDora, ziggy, Dragonfly liked this post
    Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't agree with offering alternatives to be honest, especially at snack time, if they don't eat what's there then that's fine, they can still have their milk and then go back off to play. We'd be there all day offering alternatives for snack, there's no guarantee they'll eat the alternative either so it'd be more waste.
    If they really dislike a fruit or food I offer then I remember that and give them something different but I'm not into giving lots of choices of food, as it often creates more fussy eater and more waste
    I do two snack times and its always fruit which is fairly cheap to buy and I don't give them a lot, as a pp said I wouldn't have given a whole hot cross bun either for snack, maybe half. I usually give the children half a banana and a few raisins then if they don't eat it, or pick at it (which drives me crazy too lol!) then at least I haven't wasted too much.
    Don't worry if they don't eat so much, as they might not be used to snack times at home and so aren't really hungry at these times xx
    Kelly xx

8. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    Oct 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I too would have cut them up smaller. I also usually offer 2-3 options with at least 1 being fruit so they can choose what they like, I encourage them to take small amounts then they can take more if they eat what they already have first.

I spent time as a child living with my grandparents who having lived through the war wasted nothing, that mentality has certainly worn off on me!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I usually chop some fruit ( usually equates to one apple or orange etc per child ) and put it on a plate to share. Sometimes crackers or bread sticks or a biscuit . The children have their own plate and are good at helping themselves. They share out crackers etc so everyone has the same.
    Sometimes I put an extra one so they don't easily share out and then we decide how to share remaining bits!
    I include snacks in fees.

11. Likes tess1981 liked this post
    Jul 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I understand your frustration. This is why I stopped supplying meals - children now bring a packed lunch.

However, I do still supply snacks (included in hourly fee), which is generally fruit.

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Food and snacks are included in my price at £3.50ph. I only give fruit and water or milk and the occasional biscuit. I don't give anything other than this because it would start eating into the amount paid and I don't want to start charging more with all the 'uproar' of childcare costing too much
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

14. Likes AliceK liked this post
    Mar12
    Post Thanks / Like

I include snacks and lunch in my fees however have started to notice the children who eat all there morning snack aren't eating their lunch so I've cut down the amount of snack we have then they have a slightly bigger snack in the afternoon to keep then going until home time as I don't offer evening meal. Morning snack is normally just fruit then afternoon they will have breadstick, cracker, yoghurt, or bread and butter with their fruit. Then a choice of milk or water to drink.

16. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gail Tracey View Post
    Mine is built in but I offer fruit.

The behaviour the 2 mindees showed would not have gone down well with me either. How old are they? Also did you offer an alternative?

They are 7 & 8
    The one who licked the bun has always had poor behaviour regardless if I speak to parents,
    I don't offer alternatives, if they don't want then I have said to parents, unless they are allergic to what we are having then there is nothing else

I think I will just supply fruit, apples bananas etc, and explain to parents last weeks behaviour with the hot cross buns is why I will no longer supply pancakes, muffins etc

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kittycat View Post

They are 7 & 8
    The one who licked the bun has always had poor behaviour regardless if I speak to parents,
    I don't offer alternatives, if they don't want then I have said to parents, unless they are allergic to what we are having then there is nothing else

I think I will just supply fruit, apples bananas etc, and explain to parents last weeks behaviour with the hot cross buns is why I will no longer supply pancakes, muffins etc
    Sounds more than reasonable especially given their ages. They should know better but then the parents should reinforce good behaviour too x

19. Likes Kittycat, Dragonfly liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kittycat View Post
    They are 7 & 8

So if children are 7 & 8 is the snack after school? If so I would just assume that these children had a big lunch and aren't hungry yet - maybe have a later snack time in the afternoons and just offer fruit so it won't fill them up for their tea at home.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've been researching healthy meals and snacks to make sure I am offering a balance.
    What I have been amazed about is:
    1) most menu examples on the internet offer two cooked meals a day.
    2) snacks in the morning and afternoon are substantial bread based alongside fruit, sometimes food that I would usually class as a lunch.

My own children ( now in their 20's ) only had a good breakfast, a cold lunch of crackers, sandwich etc..with a little salad and fruit and a cooked evening meal. Only fruit was offered as a snack and an occasional biscuit. This was the norm with my friends too.
    Currently I am only offering fruit for snack time but since one LO isn't keen then he doesn't have a snack, but does eat a good breakfast, lunch and parents report he eats his evening meal well, he has lots of energy and is a good size for his age.

Am I alone in thinking that children are eating far more now?

22. Likes Dragonfly, AliceK liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I was discussing snacks with another childminder on a wet walk this morning - we had taken some fruit with us but in the end only stopped briefly so children could have a drink as there wasn't any where under shelter or dry for them to sit to eat snack - we decided that it wouldn't kill the children to miss out on snack and to have an early lunch instead with extra fruit to go with their milky pudding. And I am pleased to report that they all survived until home time.

Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    So if children are 7 & 8 is the snack after school? If so I would just assume that these children had a big lunch and aren't hungry yet - maybe have a later snack time in the afternoons and just offer fruit so it won't fill them up for their tea at home.
    Yes afterschool
    I always have a few coming through to the kitchen about 3.30 asking when snack is
    But certainly after the whole bun incident last week, all I will be supplying in the future is fruit.

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

My children are all in their 20's and when young we didn't have Snack time. Yes I think children are eating too much. Look at the amount of over weight children there are at the schools. 3 solid good meals a day and fruit between if needed.

26. Likes hectors house, FloraDora liked this post
    SEPT 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I stop doing mid morning snack with mine as found they wouldnt eat lunch. Mainly cos they'd had a good breakfast. I do snack in afternoon as think they need it more to keep them going til their teatimes, as they dont eat with me. Parents provide enough in lunchboxes to cover their childs snack and if they dont eat it,it goes home.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't provide an am snack as lunch is 12 or sometimes few minutes earlier and mine mostly don't come Til after nine so have only had bfast at 830, or else have some toast with me at 9 ish

They may get a biscuit at toddlers but if they have anything more don't eat lunch

I do snack at 4ish, all gone home by 530 so don't do a dinner, but they need something to last
    Til dinner at home. I do fruit or yoghurt maybe breadsticks or toast or some crackers

Jul 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge £4 per hour including snacks. I charge extra for meals or the parent has the opportunity to send a packed lunch. Snacks in the morning are usually some fruit or bread based. If I give them both they will eat the bread based and want more (don't get it!) but leave the fruit. I don't put food on the table, they all have it chopped up on their plates. In the afternoon it depends on the little ones. Sometimes they sleep then it's nearly tea time so don't get a snack but it's usually a drink and biscuit to put them on if they do have a snack. Regarding after school children, I always offered fruit and all they wanted was biscuits so that's all they got. Now the after school children stay for tea instead, they do not get a snack after school otherwise they won't eat their tea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast