Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: settling in

Registered Childminder since
    Feb 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Default settling in

Hi I wondered if you charge for settling in sessions?

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm new, but am not charging, I'm offering 2 x 2 hour sessions for settling in as want the kids to have the chance to get to know me before starting full days

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't. The settling in sessions vary depending on child and parents needs and so far, they have come for odd hours prior to starting so haven't charged.

4. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes; If a parent is leaving them in my care and in my ratio, then I charge at my normal hourly rate. I'm happy to do as many short settling in sessions as the family needs though, and don't apply my usual minimum 5hrs-per-day charge to these, just the actual hours they've used.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a little baby starting in May.
    I am going to g charging a retainer to secure the place. Mum is keen for settling in sessions as soon as possible. These will be covered by the retainer fees. I won't charge top up fees. The baby will only be 4 months and Mum is getting upset at the thought of leaving her already so anything to make the transition easier for her.

The sessions will have to fit round my activities though.
    littletreasures xx

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I normal do 2x2 hour settling sessions at no charge. I charge for anything they want more than that or if they want, say, a single longer session.

Just a note of caution. One reason I introduced a start-up deposit was cos I was a fool and got stung. This was by a mum who did the necessary forms, said all the right things, left lo with me for a 2 hour session, came back nearly an hour late, apologised, and disappeared over the horizon, never to be seen again, except for a text message to say she'd changed her mind. I strongly suspect I was duped into providing free babysitting whilst she went shopping or to an interview.

I've made most the stoopid mistakes possible - the trick is to learn from them.

Feb 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all. Great to hear others advice

Jul 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't charge for settling in sessions, because they are not just for the benefit of the child and the parent, they also benefit me. I want to know as much about the child as possible before looking after them for a full day.

10. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I arrange a couple of settling sessions depending upon child and parents needs. sometimes I do more if I think it will be beneficial. but I only do settling sessions once contracts all signed and start dates arranged.

one of last LOs was very nervous around new people, so I went to their house to play a couple of times, and then mum came here with LO for a quick coffee, so that by the time LO did a settling session on her own, she was used to being with me.

I think it is difficult to have a hard and fast rule, as you need to work with the individual child.

Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have always offered as many free sessions as they want ( but as soon as they work then they need to pay me and start their hours.)
    I have never had anyone use more than three sessions except one teacher who came every two months during her maternity year.
    I find its a nice unique selling point that impresses parents. I hate not being able to console a child who simply misses his mum or dad.
    'It's never too late to have a happy childhood' ( Tom Robinson)

13. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Jul 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't charge but then I've never had a parent take the p. I usually invite the parents round for a coffee and chat and sit me and the child for 1-2 hours. This way both child and parent are happy and they see me in my home and working environment. If we both feel comfortable I tell them to come again, stay for a short while then go for 1 hour. Usually everyone is happy with this. I would offer another meeting if we both felt it required it. I think anything after that I would start to charge but have never needed to. btw, I do this on my quieter days so it's easier for me and not too hectic for the little one.