Childminding Advice
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Childminding Advice

Hi,

I find it quite difficult getting parents, I'm quite new being a childminder. I don't think I am saying the right thing or asking parents enquiry appropriately. Has anyone got any tips on what to say to parents especially if you are new childminder.

I am desperate for any advice.
    Thanks

Registered Childminder since
    Apr,14
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the throwa of registering and would love to see the replies

pre reg
    Post Thanks / Like

If you look through the general childminding chat forum you will find alot of posts like yours. A couple from me! Might have to go to page 2 or 3 or 5. I don't have the answer as not long registered with 8 parents through my doors and not one signed with me

Other lovely members have answered though so if you check through you will find a few.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Have you got yourself on childcare.co.uk ? I get quite a lot of enquiries this way and particularly since a parent put a lovely review on there.

Try typing in childminder and your town into Google as a potential parent may well do the same. Try and get yourself on every website.

Update your family information service with your vacancies and every time you ask you go to the top of their list.

By far the best way of getting enquiries is by getting out in the local community e g toddler groups. Once the parents get to know you, you suddenly become the best option for them.

Good luck

Jul 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a problem in getting parents through the door. Once they're in, they see what I offer and generally choose me over other minders in the area. However, I have had a lot of parents recently choose me and then change their mind, because

1. mum made redundant
    2. sister-in-law can now have the child
    3. mum decided not to go back to work after maternity leave

It's frustrating, but I try to remind myself that I am an excellent childminder and eventually some parents who are serious about needing a minder will find me.

Remember that the more parents you meet the better you will be able to present yourself and your business.

Post Thanks / Like

Word of mouth has by far been my best friend!!

Get to stay and play sessions in your local area, leave posters/buisness cards around. Advertise yourself on parent forums, gumtree, childcare.co.uk (although this never worked for me) get yourself a blog or facebook page, anyway you can make yourself known to parents,do it! (As long as it's legal of course, I not promoting unlawful behaviour!)

8. Likes Daftbat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all, I'm keeping in mind that things will only get better.

Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree put yourself on childcare website, I have had a few enquiries putting my service on there.
    I also have business cards that I distribute around my village now and again,
    A website & my local village have a Facebook page so I can advertise,

I agree word of mouth does help, but if you are quiet and don't know everyone and like me don't know very many village childminders, the word of mouth bit is hard

I can get them through my door,
    My mind just goes blank when they are sitting across my table

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you getting enquiries? If you need help with how to answer enquiries how about giving us an idea of what sort of thing you have experienced and may be we can give you so me tips?

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Facebook has brought me a number of enquiries. We have a local page and there are often posts from people looking for childminders in various areas around town and my friends have been kind enough to tag me if they see something. Then I can contact the person. I'm on Childcare.co.uk too and have had a couple of enquiries through there.

In terms of what to say to people I have found honesty has worked for me. I've been registered since last May and working since Sept (through choice). I am honest with people - I tell them I'm new to childminding but that I love it, I love working with children, I'm a mum and I always put the children first and treat my parents the way I would like to be treated as a parent. Consider what your unique selling point is and tell them all about it. You won't be right for everyone but when the right family comes along you'll click.

Jul 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Business is often slow to start with until word gets around that you're a childminder. Get some cards printed and make sure your local schools, sure start centres and local authorities know you are the local childminder. Nearly all of my business has been word of mouth or going to playgroups. I sit and chat to parents at sure start centres and playgroups and people have got to know me that way and have recommended me. Put an ad on your local facebook pages - Items to sell or swap type ones or Local business. Does your town/village have a newsletter? This is cheap advertising to your local people. Libraries, village halls, post office, schools - anywhere where they have a glass notice board is a great place to display an A5 sized advert. Check your spelling and don't put too much info. One spelling mistake and no one will want to know you! Yell.com is also free but I've personally never had any business from it. Set up a facebook page as a business. Other free adverts are PACEY website if you are a member (*****), Families information services, childcare.co.uk. I just Googled all my local business ads and added my name to it so when you put in a search for my area, I come up first!

If you get a parent through your door make sure you have a portfolio with all your info in. It looks professional and shows you know what you are talking about. I have the EYFS explained to parents in my portfolio. If I have a parent wanting to visit I choose a time convenient for both and tell them it's a quieter period for you, therefore you get to spend quality time with them. Ensure your house is clean and tidy looking and have out age appropriate toys for the little one visiting. If you have other children there, ensure everything is age appropriate and no babies can get small toys. Also, set the LO's on with an acitivity - it keeps them busy and shows you are organised. I always invite parents in and ask them to remove there shoes - you have babies crawling on the floor so don't want dirty shoes. I show them around my home and garden and where the playroom and toilet are. I make sure they know my routine and where the children eat - show them highchairs, boosters etc ensuring safety. I offer them and children a drink and ask if little one wants a snack or biscuit. Make sure you keep hot drinks well away - I know, common sense but it's easy to think all parents are sensible with their own children - it's surprising the ones that will put a scalding hot tea next to children playing. With babies, I've sat on the floor with the baby and get to know them and talk to them without being too forward and hands on whilst talking with parents. Be sure to get down on a babies level. Don't want to teach you common sense but I had a baby visit and because I laid on the floor with him and let him get used to me, he eventually accepted me approaching him. I gradually offered my arms out and he came to me. I was the first and only childminder he'd done this with and that's why parents chose me. Small things that just seem so common sense can go right out of the window when you're trying to get business. Most of all, don't look desperate! If you don't like the parents or the children, your gut feeling is usually the correct one. I've learned from my mistakes over the years!

Good luck!
    Last edited by JueQ; 18-02-2014 at 10:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I Started two yrs ago it does take a few calls to get it right

What helps me is I don't discuss money in phone ( I learnt hard way ) Also have a we card of a semi script of things u need to say and order u say them

Keep it simple and u ask questions
    Keep the interest alive tell them some things but not all ... Just give them a taster of info

Have a FB page / website and business name ALSo good ideas
    I recently advertised on FB buy sell swap pages and filled my spaces again :-)

I also have polo shirts with my business name a Nd contact details

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

I really appreciate all the support and advice.

Many thanks
    Natalie