Registered Childminder since
    Apr 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Childminder's holiday

Hey all

I need some advice please.

I have drawn up a new contract for my parents to sign which is very clear about my terms and conditions.

I have stated that I would be charging full fee for my holidays which will not exceed 3 weeks in a 12 month period.

Only one of my parents is disputing this because she said legally I am not allowed to charge for my holidays having sought advice from citizens advice. She keeps bringing up my old contract which is very basic and the charges are different. I explained I issued new contract weeks ago which is better and provides everything that is required in a contract for a childminder. She told me she has not had any time to read it until now and disputes it.

My other parents have no issue with it and I give plenty of notice.

Am I being unreasonable? Am I breaking the law?

I am charging for my holidays because I consider myself to be the cheapest childminder in the area by providing longer working hours, inclusive of meals and days out.

I am stressed beyond recognition. I have a funeral on Thursday and said I cannot work that day but will not be charging.

Please help!!!

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Everyone is different, I do not charge for my holidays as I am not available therefore they need to find alternate care whether another childminder or whatever, but as I say we are all different, perhaps you could sit down with parent and go through the new contract and explain it all
    Cath

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

You are not breaking the law if you have given her adequate notice of the changes to your terms.

You are not breaking the law by having paid holiday in your contract.

She hasn't had the time until now to read it but has still managed to find time to take it to CAB? She is not happy at paying for something she can't use and is trying it on IMO.

If you can afford to loose her I would suggest to her that if she is unhappy with your contract then maybe she should find another CM.

Apr 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Tealady for putting my mind at rest. I was so shocked when she kicked off especially at the fact she has to find alternative care whilst I attend a funeral on Thursday. I have never taken a day off and always helped her out especially when she pays late.

Cathtee I totally understand why some childminders don't charge but I feel I deserve a break without the worry of money myself. But like you said we are all different.

Xx

Apr 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Had meeting with parent today and she apologised for having a pop at me and understands why I have added 3 wks paid holiday into the contract.

As a compromise this time we agreed on half fees but moving forward if she signs new contract full fees will apply.

Like our parents we cannot afford to take time off unpaid but deserve a break like everyone else.

Ppl think we earn thousands when more often than not we make a loss.