If one parent books holiday and i then close that week do i still charge them?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default If one parent books holiday and i then close that week do i still charge them?

Hi after looking through a few threads it occurred to me that I might be doing this wrong, what you all think?

If a set of parents tell you they have booked a family holiday so won't be attending on certain dates but I would have been open, then I would normally still charge full fee's.

What then happens if I then think "seeing as one family are away that week I will also book a holiday for the same week" Am I still ok to charge that family for their holiday as the only reason I'm going away is because they are?

and obviously as I would then be closed for that week I wouldn't charge my other family's a fee as I don't charge for my holiday days off.

I can see how I kind of seems unfair on the first family but if it wasn't for their holiday I wouldn't have booked mine, I hope this makes sense lol

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Mmmmm tricky one for your conscience more than anything else.

Because you don't charge for your holiday's (personally I do - 4 weeks because I feel I am entitled just like the majority of the workforce and I deserve it) If it were me I would have difficulty morally closing and still charging.

But as they have given you dates first I think you could have an argument to charge but if they cancelled their holidays and wanted to attend would you be able to cancel your holidays and would the rest of your families attend or would they have made alternative arrangement and you couldn't really charge then, I hope this makes sense.

I know there are many childminders who don't charge for their hols and this is entirely up to them but I was wondering why?

I've heard because I am not providing the service I don't charge - yes that's fine but - statutory requirement by law states entitlement to 4 weeks hols for employees - I know we arn't employed and this is a grey and varying area but we work a full day with long hours, no breaks, no lunch hour, no time out,no sickness benefit, provision for support or job security - don't we deserve holiday entitlement at the least?

Oct 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I definitely wouldn't charge if you now decide to close, that's your choice x

4. Likes Rubybubbles liked this post
    June 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have started to charge whilst i am closed over the xmas period as most of my familys were off anyway and to be honest i really needed to know i would get at least one paid break a year.

I suppose although i'd love to charge a fee when close for a week i really worry it would put people off choosing me to be their childminder

I sore this year to take at least one full week off this summer holidays for some family time but seeing as in the last month i have lost 5 mindees due to various reasons so it looks like i'll be working extra in the holidays to try get some more pennies

June 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If the family who originally booked that holiday decided they weren't going anymore and wanted me to look after the children after all, i wouldn't cancel my holiday but then wouldn't charge them either.

What happens if both my families choose to go on holiday for the same week (yes i know it never happens lol), i am open for business so i charge, Yes?

what happens if i then choose to book a last minute break would you refund or keep the money?

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would not charge if I closed.

8. Likes Goatgirl liked this post
    Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nicadooby View Post
    If the family who originally booked that holiday decided they weren't going anymore and wanted me to look after the children after all, i wouldn't cancel my holiday but then wouldn't charge them either.

What happens if both my families choose to go on holiday for the same week (yes i know it never happens lol), i am open for business so i charge, Yes?

what happens if i then choose to book a last minute break would you refund or keep the money?
    I think this is clearer - you have no one coming - so charge and it's up to you what you do - but again you are in a predicament if a family decides to come after all and let face it you never know! And for me it's the uncertainty of trying to 'wangle it' if you know what I mean.

I understand what you say about frightening folk off with hols but I can honestly say parents understand and often work their hols with mine - so everyone gets paid and we all get a break - a welcome break

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I was just thinking about this myself this morning - I am going to ask parents this week if they have any ideas when they are going on holiday (most companies get employees to choose weeks well in advance) - I give the parents generally about 4 months notice of my holidays, the trouble is I look after 7 children over the week and it will be too much to hope that they all choose the same weeks (especially as some work in schools and some don't).

It was my birthday on 30th December, I said I would work it however 2 children booked it off and therefore paid half fee, the remaining mindees parent said as it's your birthday why don't you take the day off and I can send X the next day instead - so I didn't charge her as it was a simple swap and I benefitted from day off and half fee from 2 children.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i think if you close your business to other customers due to your holiday you can't charge anyone. If they were the only family and you took holiday becuase they had booked theirs first then fair enough but no if you are then closing the business.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If your parent's plans change - it happens , I would imagine they would then expect you to work, more so if they're paying (and dare I say it, with reasonable expectation), so if it was me, I would take the week off, not charge anyone, and enjoy the time knowing there could be no comebacks

13. Likes bunyip, Rubybubbles, Kittycat liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If a parent tells me they are off then they have booked holidays and would pay. If I took holidays at the same time then I would go back to them and negotiate a 50/50 split and that way you are both gaining.
    Debbie

15. Likes Goatgirl liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If I had a family who booked a week's holiday and I decided I would have the same full week off I wouldn't charge them.

If they booked a week off and I didn't take the same time off they would pay as normal.

If they booked a week off and I decided I could rearrange the other children so I could get a day or two off, I would still charge them for their week off.

Eg. for half term week I have already been told that one child won't be attending. On the Monday I should have 2 others here, but I have managed to swap their days to another in the week. I'll get the Monday off, but I will still charge the full week for the child that is off. I figure it's different as I'm not taking time off.

17. Likes hectors house, Goatgirl liked this post
    Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldnt charge either. Xx
    If all else fails......add glitter!

Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

If a family booked a week off and then I decided to take that week off no I wouldn't charge.
    If all my families booked the same week off and I decided to make the most of it and go away yes I would still charge, although the chances of that happening are very slim I've only ever had one day where holiday has overlapped and got a paid day off.
    Once parents have informed me of their holidays I say they must give me 4 weeks notice if they wish to cancel that holiday as I plan in advance activities and buy in advance food, resources and if I know I have a day off or an early finish I may book in dental appointments etc.

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok well I must be in the minority then?
    If a parent has booked a week off (my biggest earner) then if I could rearrange/cancel my part timers so I could then have the week off then I would.
    Also once a holiday is booked by them - in writing- then they cannot cancel/ change their mind ( unless it suits me)
    I wouldn't let them book a week or a day off and then sit around wondering if they might change their minds?
    Once it's booked then that's it and I decide what to do with the time they have booked off.
    X

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't exactly say what I'd do as this wouldn't arise over my holiday policies. BUT............

I think it's well worth looking at this from the other side of the equation. The family that initially booked the holiday may well think/feel:-
    • that they're being treated unfairly compared with the other families.
    • that you've "pulled a fast one" on them.
    • that they've been penalised for giving you plenty of notice of their dates.

Please, this is not my judgement, but it's what the family might think.

I can't think of many better ways to P a client off tbh.

You need to consider this with regard to the Law of Unintended Consequences. You're encouraging every client to hold off telling you their holiday dates in advance and incentivising them to give you the minimum contractual notice for non-attendance, so they don't get caught out paying when they might not have to.

Think on 't.

22. Likes The Juggler, Rubybubbles liked this post
    Jun 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    I can't exactly say what I'd do as this wouldn't arise over my holiday policies. BUT............ I think it's well worth looking at this from the other side of the equation. The family that initially booked the holiday may well think/feel:-[*]that they're being treated unfairly compared with the other families.[*]that you've "pulled a fast one" on them.[*]that they've been penalised for giving you plenty of notice of their dates. Please, this is not my judgement, but it's what the family might think. I can't think of many better ways to P a client off tbh. You need to consider this with regard to the Law of Unintended Consequences. You're encouraging every client to hold off telling you their holiday dates in advance and incentivising them to give you the minimum contractual notice for non-attendance, so they don't get caught out paying when they might not have to. Think on 't.
    Totally agree with this. A little goodwill goes a long way, but a little bad will goes even further. Is it worth naffing off someone who pays maybe 7-10k a year into your business (if it's a full time space they use) for the sake of maybe 150-200?
    Apologies for the random full stops. Phone buttons too small, thumbs too big.

24. Likes bunyip liked this post