Minimum hours/payment
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Minimum hours/payment

Does anyone here charge for a minimum number of hours per day per child? If so, do you apply this to under and over-8s alike?

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I only look after under 5's but have a minimum of 7 hour day charge - I don't know whether childminders who do before & after school have a minimum number of hours but I would have thought at least an hour (if not 2) in morning and definitely 2 at night - then 7 hour day for school holidays otherwise you can't go out for the day with other children if parents want to collect at lunch time. That's just what I would charge if I did do school aged children.

Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge a minimum of 5 hours a day for ey then have set fee for after school which is just over two hours pay until 5.30. Don't have any over 8's that come in the holidays, but if I did I would also charge my minimum 5 hour charge.

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I've started trying to introduce a minimum session of 9.30-2.30. This is more to do with the fact that children arriving any later than 9.30 or going home earlier than 2.30 inhibit opportunities for going out on day trips to places that we want to go to for the day or for somewhere that takes a little longer to get to. It was getting a bit like piccadilly circus here with children arriving and going home throughout the day. It was getting to the point where it was interrupting activities! If it was about the money I would be charging a minimum of 6 hours at least.

I tried to be flexible but it was becoming a nightmare!

A 5 hour session also fits in with being divisible by 15 if a parent wants to claim funding. After school I charge by the hour but I did a before school for an under 2 which was he came to me for an hour early in the morning and then I dropped him to nursery. I charged a premium for that because it was an inconvenience and the mum chose not to send him to me but had to use me cos the nursery didn't open that early.

Its a pain in the holidays as its still quite a short day but it fits in in with the school day. To be fair if I provided a day out in the holidays the parents would be flexible for what time I got the kids back but thats extra hours for me without being paid so I have to weigh up the benefits.

Mar12
    Post Thanks / Like

For pre school children I charge a min of 6 hours this way were not tied to the house and have time to get out and about. I also charge a min of 2 hours after school care just to make it worth my while as school is a 6 mile round car trip.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebell View Post
    I've started trying to introduce a minimum session of 9.30-2.30. This is more to do with the fact that children arriving any later than 9.30 or going home earlier than 2.30 inhibit opportunities for going out on day trips to places that we want to go to for the day or for somewhere that takes a little longer to get to. It was getting a bit like piccadilly circus here with children arriving and going home throughout the day. It was getting to the point where it was interrupting activities! If it was about the money I would be charging a minimum of 6 hours at least.

I tried to be flexible but it was becoming a nightmare!

A 5 hour session also fits in with being divisible by 15 if a parent wants to claim funding. After school I charge by the hour but I did a before school for an under 2 which was he came to me for an hour early in the morning and then I dropped him to nursery. I charged a premium for that because it was an inconvenience and the mum chose not to send him to me but had to use me cos the nursery didn't open that early.

Its a pain in the holidays as its still quite a short day but it fits in in with the school day. To be fair if I provided a day out in the holidays the parents would be flexible for what time I got the kids back but thats extra hours for me without being paid so I have to weigh up the benefits.
    I used to have a 6 hours minimum but then upped it to 7 when a new parent suddenly wanted 18 hours spread over 3 days instead of 2 - therefore taking up another days space but for no extra money - she now pays for 21 hours but actually uses most of them as she hadn't taken travelling time into her original calculations!

I like to have all children here between 8 & 9 and then they go between 3.15 & 5.00 - I am registered for funding, but not get any children doing it yet, they will either have to do 5 hours or 7.5 hours and pay for any extra hours.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a minimum daily charge, rather than minimum hours.

8. Likes lynncjt liked this post
    Sept 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a minimum charge for schoolies (equivalent to 2.5hrs) & 7 hours for pre-schoolers.

June 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

yes I have minimum daily charge too the equates to 6 hours care in a child in the early years

Jul 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a higher fee before school, a min of 2 hrs after school and min if 5 hours for ey. I have a pick up just after lunch but child starts earlier than my start time so shortest day is still 6hrs so can't really complain if it stops our outings.

Simona Guest

No one does things the same but ...lets think ahead and competition is only round the corner

CMs can do sessions, minimum hours or else ....however don't rush into it unless you have thought about it

You could be flexible to accommodate those parents who only want 2 or 3 hrs which you could do when one of your children attends preschool and that space can be filled that way rather than having to charge 1/2 retainer or even full fee....
    just thinking ahead when children will be in school from 2 years of age...and the school has wraparound care
    CMs need to be competitive then

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont have a minimum but I wouldnt take it on if it didnt fit in with my routine. used to charge normal rate for after schoolers but thinking of increasing as I find them hard work