Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Not charging when child is in playgroup or nursery

I've got myself into a bit of a rut since I started minding
    I originally said I wouldn't charge the 2 hours when a mindee is at playgroup or nursery,
    I was speaking to one of the new childminders yesterday and she said that all the childminders including her charge during nursery incase the child is sick, snow etc etc
    I worked out I stand to lose £160 a month by not doing this and worked out I would be under cutting myself having a full time child for under £30 a day
    I have a new child starting in February and stupidly told mum I don't charge,
    However after having a major rethink I think I'm stupid to lose out like this

I am just wondering what is the best wording is to draft this up in a email etc, and of course I would have it come into effect march sometime, so she had some time

Post Thanks / Like

Yep I know what u mean! I can't afford to be not fully that space either, there was a discussion here the other day on it!

You may lose this mum if you take back what you said about not charging her, but maybe not if everyone else charges though she might be resentful. At least if you do you will be right for future enquiries

Simona Guest

This topic is being discussed over and over again and will be one that comes up all the time in future...we CMs really need to think and reflect on this as it involves a lot of issues...in my personal view it is THE most important of the reforms to our childcare

In the past charging was not really a problem but now if CMs charge parents who send their children to nursery when they are actually getting the 15 hrs of free education we are basically cancelling that benefit for parents

We could ask parents to leave them with us as CMs now do the funding...but the answer would be they want their child in a bigger setting to get 'school ready'...... am I right?

Yes if the school is closed for whatever reason then the parent would ask the CM to look after the child...that will be the problem...but stop and think because in future schools will be open from 8-6pm

As the govt is asking providers to work together more and more this will affect us all....for cms this is a very important issue because of the income we lose

We totally bypassed this as we focused our worries on agencies...

Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I discussed this issue during the week with two from the funding team at my LA.
    I pointed out that I'm currently experiencing this with a child that I claimed 2 year old funding for Sep-Dec a and now they are 3 I'm claiming that funding. However, the child was offered an earlier starter place at a school nursery (mum received letter) after discussing with mum she is waiting until September. Although the child started a playgroup session last week and staff assumed they would receive 15 hours funding. They looked surprised when I said I was claiming the funding, as a result the mum is paying for the one session at playgroup because I explained how I have always charged when children are at playgroup or nursery.

My LA suggested that we need to inform parents who are eligible to claim 2 year old funding that in the future if they attend school nurseries then their fee will rise due to childminder fees. Indeed, this is going to be an issue for many of us.

Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
    I pointed out that I'm currently experiencing this with a child that I claimed 2 year old funding for Sep-Dec a and now they are 3 I'm claiming that funding. However, the child was offered an earlier starter place at a school nursery (mum received letter) after discussing with mum she is waiting until September. Although the child started a playgroup session last week and staff assumed they would receive 15 hours funding. They looked surprised when I said I was claiming the funding, as a result the mum is paying for the one session at playgroup because I explained how I have always charged when children are at playgroup or nursery.

My LA suggested that we need to inform parents who are eligible to claim 2 year old funding that in the future if they attend school nurseries then their fee will rise due to childminder fees. Indeed, this is going to be an issue for many of us.
    How would you have worked this, as child is going to school nursery? In my situation
    I had one childminder state all the childminders in my area charge, and I stupidly from day one haven't and now want to get into the routine of charging as one childminder pointed out its a 2 hr space I can't fill.
    I was thinking of charging full fees but possibly giving a slight reduction, which my cm friend can't understand why I would do that, as she has pointed out I am a business not a charity

I hate setting out fees

6. Likes Lindsay2208 liked this post
    Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally I don't charge unless I am taking the child to morning nursery then picking up. As a parent I wouldn't be happy to pay for my child for a full day if they are only with the childminder from 12, I know why people charge and fully understand its each childminder right too, but I wouldn't feel comfortable charging the same for a little one I had all day and one I only had for half of the day.
    If I was a parent I would like to think I'd be offered at least a reduced fee if my child was only in for half a day and not paying the same price as another child who was in from say 8-6 x
    Last edited by kellyskidz!; 20-01-2014 at 04:21 PM.
    Kelly xx

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley View Post

That is something we need to reflect on...this is how I am thinking: if a child goes to school at 2 and we charge for the 3 hrs won't that push parents to keep the child at school using the wraparound care they are bound to set up if they open 8-6pm?

it is definitely something many cms have done for years as we keep that space open but I can see we need to reflect on how to remain sustainable...not charging means the child comes back to us after nursery or charge and we may lose them? a real dilemma!
    The next problem to consider is when these children need full care in the holidays...we will have to keep that space open for them anyway?

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kellyskidz! View Post
    Personally I don't charge unless I am taking the child to morning nursery then picking up. As a parent I wouldn't be happy to pay for my child for a full day if they are only with the childminder from 12, I know why people charge and fully understand its each childminder right too, but I wouldn't feel comfortable charging the same for a little one I had all day and one I only had for half of the day. If I was a parent I would like to think I'd be offered at least a reduced fee if my child was only in for half a day and not paying the same price as another child who was in from say 8-6 x
    I feel the same. In fact I don't charge even when I drop off and collect unless I am the emergency contact - which I try not to be because I don't want to be called for a sick child! In the event that the playgroup is closed for some reason I charge my normal rate to have the child. However I am lucky that I don't have to maximise my spaces and earn the full amount possible - so I run my business to suit me and hope I offer parents a good service whilst not annoying my childminder colleagues by offering something they are not prepared to do. Each to their own as usual however I try to think how I would feel as a parent and work that way. It's not for everyone but it works for me. If I was on call for the child I would charge as close to full fees as I could negotiate!

apr1998
    Post Thanks / Like

Default charging when a child is in playgroup

If i take a child to play group then i charge full for the time they are not with me . If parents take them i don't charge .
    For the child that i take to play group this is keeping their place for holiday time a parent that takes their child cannot be guaranteed a place all day in my setting during holidays .

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ivy View Post
    If i take a child to play group then i charge full for the time they are not with me . If parents take them i don't charge .
    For the child that i take to play group this is keeping their place for holiday time a parent that takes their child cannot be guaranteed a place all day in my setting during holidays .
    Yes that is the dilemma...while the parents are getting the 3 hrs there for free we charge them therefore there is no gain for parents but, you are right, you are also keeping the space for the holidays
    What I worry is that parents may choose to leave the children with the school that offers wraparound care in future because they are really getting their free education then at no extra charge...

Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kellyskidz! View Post
    Personally I don't charge unless I am taking the child to morning nursery then picking up. As a parent I wouldn't be happy to pay for my child for a full day if they are only with the childminder from 12, I know why people charge and fully understand its each childminder right too, but I wouldn't feel comfortable charging the same for a little one I had all day and one I only had for half of the day.
    If I was a parent I would like to think I'd be offered at least a reduced fee if my child was only in for half a day and not paying the same price as another child who was in from say 8-6 x

The child I am away to look after I have from 8-5.30
    But she goes to nursery from 9-11.30
    I feel as a parent myself that I wouldn't want to pay someone to look after my child when actually he/she is in nursery

However I am a business and have to think of my business
    I could charge her the full fees but actually give her a reduction so it looks like she is not being charged for nursery
    That way I wouldn't be losing to much income by not charging at all