Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    nov 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tax credits for own children

Hi,

Can you claim help with childcare through tax credits if you childmind your own children at a different address to your home address?

I'm sure I was told you can but not sure.

Thanks

Sarah

Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never heard of that before
    Surely you couldn't because your technically not childminding your own kids, your caring for them during the time you are childminding, yes they make up your numbers but your not paying yourself ( if u see what I mean)

Post Thanks / Like

No you can not. Only way you can claim tax credits for your own children to be minded is if they have a differently registered provider care for them. You can however employ a nanny and claim tax credits for the hours you are working and nanny must be registered

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you mean if you are registered as a childminder, but at a home that isn't yours? As a co-minder?

If you worked as an assistant to another childminder and had to pay for a space for your own child then I guess you could possibly claim for that as you are paying someone else.
    If you work with another cm as their co-minder, then I would say no, as your child is your responsibility and included within your numbers. You could probably pay the other cm, so your child comes in their numbers, but they would still count in your numbers as well, so you'd have one less space to earn from.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you can claim Nursery funding for your own children if you are registered to deliver Early years entitlement but don't think you can claim tax credits for childcare if they are within your ratios regardless of address - may be best to phone up Tax credits (if you have an hour to waste) to find out.

nov 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I was told by tax credits years ago that I could claim help for childcare if it was a different address ( not sure if it was the wrong info)

Thanks for your advice