New Parent being unreliable
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    jul 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New Parent being unreliable

Hello, I am newly registered and this is my first Mindee. His Mum and Family are Nigerian and there is a little bit of a language barrier
    She rang me last Monday asking for emergency childcare as she had a new job. She came to meet me and had an interview, we agreed to start the next day, she asked for regular Mon Tues Weds care with occasional Thursday Friday
    She didnt turn up Tuesday, turned up Wednesday and just left the little boy, didnt turn up Friday
    She came this Monday and paid me for Wednesday care only. I told her that she should really pay me for the 2 days that she didnt turn up (she has had a copy of my fees and payments policy) I told her that we would start afresh this week. Today she hasnt turned up again, i've waited in and missed a playgroup with my own children! Should I refuse to continue with caring for her child or insist on payment in full up front?

Post Thanks / Like

Oh poor you when it's your first child

Sounds exactly like a parent that I've had

Maybe you could have her in for a chat and explain your contract a bit more fully

Do you not take payment in advance ? It might be a good idea to do that

Do you have a settling in policy?

Yes you do want paying but it depends on what your contract says?

Angel xx

oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Not a good start! If she is being so flaky right from the start it doesnt bode well.

I would have her in for a meeting. Do you know anyone who could help translate?
    I would want to be firm. Go through the contract and make sure she understands the terms.

Insist on payment up front monthly. No payment, no care. If this is not already in your contract add it at the meeting and get her to sign again.

To be honest if it doesnt sort itself out immediatley I would more than likely want to terminate as it would drive me mad!!

4. Likes Goatgirl, bunyip liked this post
    Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally I would write out a contract if you haven't already stating the days she requires care,
    She either wants 5 days or 3, you can't hold a Thursday or Friday if and when she needs You, you are trying to run a business and a family could need her occasional days.
    Next....... Payment in advance, end of every mth invoice her for the contracted days she has in her contract, that way if she doesn't turn up one day, you are not out of pocket

Post Thanks / Like

Your local children's centre/school/CAB may be able to help with a translation, or point you in the right direction. I would want to chat with them first to make sure we gave mum the same message. You need to be clear and confident on what you do want/don't want x

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If you carry on, payment up front and don't wait in, if it continues end contract asap - a lot of hassle!

8. Likes angeldelight liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with everything other members have said, re: contract, advance payment, no money=no care, and don't wait in if late.

The big danger when you start out is that you give so much leeway that you get used to acting the role of doormat. You also give huge amounts of flexibility cos it doesn't matter so much when you've only one client. But then it becomes a problem later when you're juggling availability around more clients/enquirers.

In the long run it is far better to start as you mean to continue. Be firm now, cos it's a whole lot harder to reel things in later if you're giving too much ground at the start.

June 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would give her a cut off time too so you don't miss playgroup again. If she's due at 9 am say, then if she's not with you before 9.15 then you will carry on, if she needs you still then get her to meet you there. It's not fair for the other children to miss out, she needs to know that! X

x Sarah x

11. Likes rickysmiths liked this post