Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Family?

Registered Childminder since
    may10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Family?

Family member has asked me to look after her baby for 1 day a week
    Would you charge for this at your normal rate
    At the moment I haven't got any children other then before and after school so could do with the money
    I only charge 30 for a full day and that includes all meals and outings
    What would you change

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

If it were my family - I wouldn't charge at all because I wouldn't look after them. Too many things to go wrong which could cause a family rift.

If you are doing it because you need the money - you must charge your regular fees - this is your job, income and livelihood. You must be professional and put this across unmistakably to your family member because otherwise familiarity could breed contempt.

Tread very carefully when looking after family and friends children, sometimes you can be used for 'mates rates' , 'favors'
    asked to do things that you don't want to and then feel obliged and it could p you off - as yourself if it is worth it?. Oh what doom and gloom! It could be a marvelous opportunity but tread carefully.

Good luck.

3. Likes BuzzyB's liked this post
    Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Could you tell a tiny white lie and say I usually charge 35 but I'll do it for 30
    Lol just kidding, I'd just charge normal rate as they're getting the same care as everyone else, and tell them if it got out you were charging them less other parents wouldn't be happy and it'd look bad on you xx
    Kelly xx

Post Thanks / Like

I look after my cousins two children and charge normal rate... I told her from the beginning I couldn't offer any discount and she said she wouldn't expect any, as she would have to pay full amount anywhere else and was just happy for them to be with me rather than a stranger!!
    Hope this helps x

oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I too would charge normal rate. This is alow enough paid job at the moment without giving discount.

Think how annoyed you will be if you offer a discount and then have to turn away a full fee customer.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I looked after my Nephew for 4 years until he went to school and I had no problems at all and I charged my normal hourly rate.
    Alyson x

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I look after my grandson one day a week for free but that is my choice. My son in law is at home to look after him but I go and kidnap him for the day, so he can have some time with other children. Your relative can always claim tax credits by using you as a registered childminder which she couldn't do if she asked another family member.