Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New parent, no fees

Just had a new parent start my service
    And as I always ask for payment in advance, I was paid till the end of this month,
    My invoices went out the end of last week for November,and this parent was no different
    All other parents have paid me as my due date is normally 28th,29th, but this month it was the 30th

I am away to draft up a gentle reminder, but wonder if you could help with the way it's worded
    As she is a new parent I don't want to scare her away, but at the same time I need paid too,

I would be doing this email and text to insure she has read one if not both

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am due payment on the first of the forthcoming month. I usually send a text message to all parents the day before saying. "Hello everyone, just a quick reminder that fees are due tomorrow" . Has always worked so far. X

sept 20
    Post Thanks / Like

It's always hard asking for money when you're self employed! I've never had any real problems but on the invoice I always write ' fee's payable in the first week of the month please'. I had one new parent who hadn't paid by the second week and I knew I would have to ask for the money - I asked if there was a problem with the bill and she was very apologetic as she hadn't realised payment was made in advance!

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

I have struggled with this just this week. I have a holiday only mindee. Mum delivered monday morning when I was expecting to be paid in cash. She said Oh i hope you dont mind if i pay you on Friday when i get paid. I pulled a face and said well what choice do i have?

Wouldnt be so bad but when she collected tuesday she was telling me how she was off to sainsburies to do a big food shop. When I commented I wont go there as they are too expensive she said oh yes i know but i like that shop. I then commented there was no point in me going to the shop as i dont have any money. She smiled sweetly and left very quickly.

She knows full well that I charge in advance as I stress this at the very first meeting. If she pulls it again next holidays it will be her last!

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I suppose technically seeing as its paid in advance she has paid you on time for November.

What does your contract say mine is the paid by the 1st of the month so that can be anything from the 27th up to the 1st.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    I suppose technically seeing as its paid in advance she has paid you on time for November.

What does your contract say mine is the paid by the 1st of the month so that can be anything from the 27th up to the 1st.
    No she hasn't paid me for November
    Just until yesterday
    My contracts and policies state the 28th of every month other wise I start charging £5 a day late payment fee until the invoice is settled

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi ,
    I would either call or text in a friendly way, assuming the parent has just forgotten or there has been a misunderstanding about the date you need to be paid by. Some thing like "hi x, just a reminder that fees were due yesterday. Is there a problem? Please let me know". and leave some time for the parent's answer... Then if necessary, remind them that "as discussed previously, there is a charge per day for late payments which you would much rather not have to apply (it would quickly mount up for them) but is there to help ensure you get paid on time and that your outgoings get paid on time too..."

I have in all my contracts that payment is in advance and parents who haven't paid would be in breach of contract so I would not accept children for childcare without full agreement of the circumstances in advance. I have had to remind a couple of parents of this, neither liked it, but they did take it on board.. we are not a charity at the end of the day

Good luck, hopefully parent has just forgotten, will offer profuse apologies and transfer money straight away

Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Text mum this morning with a polite reminder, but no response from her and nothing pending in my account
    Think I will draft up a polite email too, just incase for whatever reason her phones not working or something

Strange though as she asked me last Friday when fees were due by,

I am just wondering if she wanted a months childcare so she could have time to herself, and not bother coming back
    This would explain the non payment and communication

Aug 201
    Post Thanks / Like

When I renewed contracts with parents who tended to pay late I introduced a "late payment fee". They have not been late since. It's annoying as you bank on the money coming on a certain day for the mortgage etc!

Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=clairer;1317059]When I renewed contracts with parents who tended to pay late I introduced a "late payment fee". They have not been late since. It's annoying as you bank on the money coming on a certain day for the mortgage etc![/QUOTE

It drives me crazy,
    As you say you do count on that money for paying bills etc,
    Sometimes feel like we are begging for fees, but I've learnt to see it as, if they can't afford childcare then they shouldn't be looking or putting their child to one,
    This parent is 4 days late, she is currently abroad Atm but I am due to have her child Tuesday,
    I will wait until tomorrow and if still no fees I will email her saying obviously still no payment & need it settled but that I will not be minding her child until it is

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you checked the wording in your contract? Please do before you tell the parent you will withhold care.

If, as I do, you use the pacey contracts I believe the part you need to double check is on the last page. It states about how late the payment can be before you do.

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Kittycat;1317073]
    Quote Originally Posted by clairer View Post
    When I renewed contracts with parents who tended to pay late I introduced a "late payment fee". They have not been late since. It's annoying as you bank on the money coming on a certain day for the mortgage etc![/QUOTE

It drives me crazy,
    As you say you do count on that money for paying bills etc,
    Sometimes feel like we are begging for fees, but I've learnt to see it as, if they can't afford childcare then they shouldn't be looking or putting their child to one,
    This parent is 4 days late, she is currently abroad Atm but I am due to have her child Tuesday,
    I will wait until tomorrow and if still no fees I will email her saying obviously still no payment & need it settled but that I will not be minding her child until it is
    If she is abroad at the moment, she may not be getting texts until her return and cant deal with making the payment on a non secure wifi. I expect she is back yesterday or today if mindie is coming tomorrow, so hope you hear from her. I think I would call her this evening to make sure she realises she needs to bring payment with her tomorrow or transfer tonight

feb 05
    Post Thanks / Like

This is the worst part of the job!! I hate asking for money even though I know I'm entitled to it hope she pays up soon

Jul 10
    Post Thanks / Like

As hard as it is, when payment is late, I talk to the parent face-to-face. Too easy to ignore texts and e-mails, harder to look me in the eye and explain why they haven't paid me.