Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Term time and Holiday fees

Hiya,

I have a new child starting whose parents are teachers so they only want term time. I haven't had to do a term time contract yet, so I wanted to check what the done thing was. Do you charge full/half or no fees for those holidays?

Thanks!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

hello.

everyone does their own thing - you have 4 options

a) charge your usual fees for term time and nothing for holidays.
    b) charge usual fees for term time, and then, as you are holding a space for them throughout the holidays, full fees even if not attending. BUT then they are paying for the space, so if they need it, it is theirs, and if you use the space for another child ( and wouldn't be able to care for the termtime only child ) you should refund the fees they have paid.
    c) charge usual fees for term time and half fees ( retainer ) for holidays to hold space, BUT, as above, their 'space' is/should be available for them to use, but they would pay the other half fee for every hour used ( ie, they usually come for 20 hrs, but pay for 20 at half fee in holidays, that doesn't entitle them to 10 hrs paid for care, each hour has only had half the fees paid on it )
    d) charge a higher fee for term time, and nothing for the holidays.

I use d). parents think they are getting a deal by not having to pay retainers of the holidays, but actually they are, just spread out over the rest of the year!
    ie. usual rate £4.00/hr.
    £4 x 39 weeks ( term time ) = £156
    £2 ( half fee ) X 13 weeks ( holidays ) = £26

£156 + £26 = £182

£182 divided by 39 ( term time weeks ) = £4.67/hr

so you could round up or down to come to your 'term time only' fee.
    I also charge the same fee for 'holiday' only care.

also, if my term time only children then choose to come for the odd day in the holidays, then they continue to pay the higher fee!

hope that makes sense! good luck x

Feb 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! I ummed and aahhhed much last night, as they need to start on Thursday time was of the essence! But I eventually settled on the half fees for the holidays. She was fine with it and has paid me for September already so I'm happy!

4. Likes loocyloo, Mrs Pootle liked this post