Late collecting and late at paying!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Late collecting and late at paying!

Right I feel like a door mat at the moment, but I'm really shy at asking for money ect.

We have one family who never collect before 6pm it's more like 6.30-7.00 pm every night. Sometimes I get a text saying will be late but most nights nothing and not even a sorry. Don't really mind them still being here at that time but feel used and taken for granted.

Another family have stopped their weekly direct debits, so been asking but she kept saying will just pay at end of month, now it's a new month and still nothing. They have ran up some debt which she has paid off but now still owes for last month.

I feel I need to introduce late fees and late payment fees. But how much and how do I introduce it nicely without upsetting anyone?

Thanks for any advice :-)

jul 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't worry too much about upsetting people.They knew they had to pay you when they signed the contract so shouldn't come as a surprise.
    I would send out a news letter/email to all your families stating that you are introducing a late payment and a late collection fee (or a premium rate outside of contracted hours)
    As this will be a change to your original contract you will need signature from them to show they agree.State on the email that new paperwork will be available for them to sign when they drop their child off so allow a few extra minutes.
    £5 per day late payment fee and 3X contracted hourly rate for any time used after contracted hours without prior arrangement

3. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Managed to post twice somehow

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a late collection policy stating you will charge so much per 15 mins or whatever of late pick up, make it clear to parents that you will be implementing this as of today. Put your foot down and let these parents know that you finish at 6 and that's when the children should be collected. Late collections impact on your own personal time and its just not on

As to the parent who hasn't paid. Don't you get paid in advance, from what you have said I am assuming you are paid in arrears. But whichever make it clear on pick up or telephone parent today and say no payment, no care.

Don't let these people walk all over you, you are in charge of what hours you work and the terms of your contract which they have all signed.

Introduce these fees and don't be worried about upsetting them, if they don't take the mickey and pay and turn up on time, then they wont be paying for extras

sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Stick it in as a section at the end of your invoices. I do this and acts as encouragement. They see that and don't want to get charged. It doesn't always work but I've rarely been paid late

Post Thanks / Like

It is in the contracts as I use ncma/pacey contracts but never implemented it. What makes it harder is parents have became friends, which great to have good relationships and makes communicating and sharing info even easier but makes it harder when it comes to money I think.
    Thanks everyone great ideas, going to add a section onto invoice for lateness it will say £0.00 but then it's a reminder every month it could say something else.
    I mainly get paid in advance, the non paying parent at mo paid mid week for that week. But has cancelled her direct debits. As I know her I'm worried she's having money troubles as she's recently moved in with her boyfriend and mentioned about her ax credits have gone down because of this, but that's nothing to do with me I know. I'm rubbish at the business side, I just want the children to turn up, have fun then go home again lol. I'm far to soft and been left high and dry a few times left with families owing money. Need to protect us more especially as my husband works with me so this is our only income.

That was a big rant lol thanks everyone :-)

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gem wright View Post
    It is in the contracts as I use ncma/pacey contracts but never implemented it. What makes it harder is parents have became friends, which great to have good relationships and makes communicating and sharing info even easier but makes it harder when it comes to money I think.
    Thanks everyone great ideas, going to add a section onto invoice for lateness it will say £0.00 but then it's a reminder every month it could say something else.
    I mainly get paid in advance, the non paying parent at mo paid mid week for that week. But has cancelled her direct debits. As I know her I'm worried she's having money troubles as she's recently moved in with her boyfriend and mentioned about her ax credits have gone down because of this, but that's nothing to do with me I know. I'm rubbish at the business side, I just want the children to turn up, have fun then go home again lol. I'm far to soft and been left high and dry a few times left with families owing money. Need to protect us more especially as my husband works with me so this is our only income.

That was a big rant lol thanks everyone :-)
    You could ask this parent to give you 4 signed post dated cheques for each week of the month - you just pay in the appropriately dated cheque - tell her if the cheque bounces though, you will pass on any bank charges. I found this method worked well for the family who never knew who had the cheque book when they came to collect!