Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default In advance or arrears????

Hi all
    Sorry if this has been asked before but do you charge in advance or ahttp://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/panic.gifrrears?
    I've spoken to a childminder who says she invoices at the end of the month for the hours the child actually did, but then I spoke to another who said that they charge for contracted hours on the first of the month and add any extra hours to the following months invoice.
    I'm not sure which method to use??????????
    Thanks in advance for your help

Jan 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that most people seem to charge in advance but I personally have always charged in arrears, and have luckily never encounterd any problems in 23yrs xx

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Charlieboy1965 View Post
    Hi all
    Sorry if this has been asked before but do you charge in advance or ahttp://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/panic.gifrrears?
    I've spoken to a childminder who says she invoices at the end of the month for the hours the child actually did, but then I spoke to another who said that they charge for contracted hours on the first of the month and add any extra hours to the following months invoice.
    I'm not sure which method to use??????????
    Thanks in advance for your help
    I personally collect the fees at the end of the month. I then know how many hours have been done, there's no arguments.

I've always been paid on time so I will continue to do this until such time that people don't respect that.

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I collect in advance and then amend the next month to take into account any changes due to sickness (e.g. me not working or any extras).

Think about what will work for you and if you are doing it in arrears definitely take a deposit.

Good luck.

Sam x

5. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Nov '11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good!
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge in advance at the beginning of each month and if there are any extra hours used I add them onto next month.

Personally I prefer this method because if u have problems with a non payer u can refuse care without working the whole month.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I charge monthly in advance and then add any extra hours on, or refund any hours in the next invoice.

that way I am covered if parents decide to go away/child is ill etc.

none of my parents have ever commented. I invoice mid month, for fees due 1st of the next month, for the next months care.

however, one family pay me weekly-child arrives at the door with an envelope for me child reminds parents if they forget to hand over an envelope!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your replies xx

Oct 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I always collect in advance too and then, like others have said, I can refund any sickness etc in the next invoice.

It makes me feel more comfortable knowing I have been paid prior to undertaking the months work and puts me in a position where I would refuse to take the child without having the money.

Having said that it has never happened and I totally trust all the parents that I have had so I would just go with how you would feel more comfortable running your business.

10. Likes loocyloo liked this post