Charging for your own holidays?h
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Charging for your own holidays?h

Hello all, I am after some advice! I have recently taken on a new child, and her parent was shocked when I said that I didn't charge for my own holidays, (except bank holidays), and told me that her previous childminder charged her 50% for when either the childminder herself, or the child was on holiday, and the parent accepted this as fair. It has left me wandering should I charge for holidays, as it stands I cannot afford to really have a week off, even though I really need a break! I just wanted to know what the norm was, any guidance would be appreciated! Thanks

Registered Childminder since
    feb 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge half fees for my holidays and full for parents. If I am off sick I don't charge

Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't charge if I'm on holiday or sick and charge full for children's hols and sick days (unless its a long term illness) but know others minders that charge full fees for their own and children's hols and sick days regardless, and they're full. Depends on each person really, I save up to cover my weeks hol but am nervous about next year as we're going to Disney World and I'm off for two weeks

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I was always under the impression that I should save for my own holidays, although on a single wage with everything to pay for this is very hard, as I'm sure you know! I just never realised that some childminders do charge for their holidays...it's definitely given me something to think about! Thank you

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lizduncan72 View Post
    I charge half fees for my holidays and full for parents. If I am off sick I don't charge
    I do the same and also don't charge bank holidays

Post Thanks / Like

That's really interesting I think I should look into doing the same, no charge for bank holidays, but 50% for proper holiday! Thank you

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge half fee for my holiday and full fee for the parents. I can't afford to subsidise their holidays! If I charged half for theirs and mine I may as well not charge at all for mine!

For anyone on 3 or more full days a week I add up their weekly fee multiply by 49.5 weeks (I have 5 weeks at half fee) and divide by 12. That way the parents pay the same every month and I have money every month even if I am on holiday. If there is a change for extra hours or an unpaid day for sickness then that is sorted out in the month after it happens and I refund a day or the parent pays me the extra.

If they are less than 3 days they have to pay as you go!

I charge for BH as I am available to work but at a higher fee. If they then choose not to use me then they pay the contracted fee for the day.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Different cms have different structures, some charge full for their holidays, some 50%, some none. Again for parents Full or 50% some none,

Its entirely up to you. Some parents may not mind but what if you got a parent who then had to pay again for a cm when you are on holiday it may be a deal breaker for them.

Take each contract on its own merits.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

9. Likes bunyip, Dragonfly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes that's my dilemma,I know some of my parents will be Able to afford more than others, and I don't want to risk losing any children, as I have had most of them for nearly a year now, having said that, I know from my previous work as a nursery manager, we had one flat fee and that was it, since being a childminder I have been much more flexible, almost too the point where I'm so tired I can't do anymore. It's a very fine line!

Post Thanks / Like

And it does not help me that all my parents are friends with each other, and they talk, so I can't really be lenient with one parent who earns less, as they will all hear about it, i really have to try and be as fair as possible, whilst still making it worth my while! Tricky!!!!

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have never charged any fees for my holidays as the parent often has to pay for alternate childcare. Paying twice seems unfair. Term time holidays by parent is charged full fees. Parent time off in school hols I charge at 50% . This encourages school hols time off which makes my life easier!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have just put my fees up ... this now includes a 50% fee for my holiday!

( 48 weeks at usual hourly fee, 4 weeks at 50% of hourly fee, added together and divided by 48 again! ) all I have to remember to do is put the extra in my savings account each month!

but as far as parents know, I still don't charge for my holidays!

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont charge for my holidays and i take 5 weeks. I charge full for theirs unless they take it off when i am off. I do charge for BH but dont work
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AdeleMarie88 View Post
    And it does not help me that all my parents are friends with each other, and they talk, so I can't really be lenient with one parent who earns less, as they will all hear about it, i really have to try and be as fair as possible, whilst still making it worth my while! Tricky!!!!
    I think we should be professional about this and keep the same rules for all

personally I get 2 weeks paid holiday per annum (going up to 3 weeks as of Sept) and I work out 12 monthly payments so that there isn't a fee paying problem
    Debbie

Mar 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't charge for mine but do BH. I charge full for their holidays. I know some childminders that charge half for theirs and half for clients. I feel I would be well out of pocket as I only take 2 weeks off in the summer and Christmas. My clients take far more. I try and save for the time I take off.

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree with Chatterbox about charging the same for all parents - could get messy otherwise.

I had a family who took holidays at the drop of a hat. Last year they took 4 weeks off in a row- there's no way I would have been happy with 50%- they paid full. I charge when I am open and don't when I am shut to keep it simple. I take 4 weeks a year which sometimes coincides with bank holidays - usually I have 1 week at easter, 2 in summer and 1 at xmas. I want to have school holiday time off with my children and my husband. My oh takes the same time off as me so we can be together as a family and then he has another week off when I am working.

If you do go with 50% for either side make sure you stipulate up to how many weeks a year you are doing this and when the year runs from and to. That way they can't take the mick. When I was a nanny I had 5 weeks holiday a year (paid as I was employed) - they chose 2 weeks and I chose 3 weeks then if they decided to go away outside of that time they would give me extra holiday paid. If I needed time off outside of that time it was unpaid. This seemed totally fair.

I did think about doing 50% either side and saying I would choose 4 weeks and they could have an extra 2 weeks at 50% but I thought it might get confusing if they left mid year and hadn't taken the holiday etc so decided to keep it super simple.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

def. same holiday fee structure for everyone

i used to charge for my hols (4 weeks per year) and BH's. Then i was mostly t-time only so it worked out that only 1 family who came in the holidays were paying and the rest not, as I took all my holidays in school holidays.

So, now I charge nothing for my hols but do charge for BH's.

I am always wary about half fees/no fees for parents holidays unless this is capped at x no. weeks per year.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Pay for child's time off, don't pay for mine. Most take the same hols as me. It makes sense. Everyone is equal.

Sept 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If I am open you pay, if I'm closed you don't.

Doesn't feel right to me being paid for my holiday as a self-employed person

Post Thanks / Like

None of my children are in school, they are all two, so I don't benefit from school holidays at all! I am trying to get the four sets of parents and myself to agree to a week at the beginning of the year for summer holiday in July/August then a week over Xmas, that way I get a week off, and they aren't charged twice covering my absence. It seems completely fair to have some kind of paid holiday, they do,why shouldn't you? I know when I was a nanny, legal requirement was 25 paid days a year, so for a childminder to potentially get no paid days a year seems totally unfair!! It's interesting to see how everyone does this differently, but it's important to get some kind of paid holiday, no matter how you work it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast