Childminder retainers for your own holiday?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Childminder retainers for your own holiday?

Hello all, I have been a childminder now for a year, and I have had a battle with my parents to agree to paying me Bank Holidays, but finally we got there! Now I have taken on a couple of new children, and their parents believe that I should have some kind of paid holiday, where by I charge them a retainer for about 50% of their normal fees, this obviously sounds appealing to me, but I want to clarify what other childminders do? Do you charge your parents when you go on holiday? As it stands at the moment I would not be able to afford a week off because I would lose too much money! Any advice?

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont work bank holidays so therefore I dont charge for them......I take 3 weeks holiday a year unpaid and allow parents to take 3 weeks per year where they dont pay me....any other hols or time off is charged at 50% ...I think it is entirely up to you what you do and charge as at the end of the day its your business...I like my 3 weeks off so think its only fair the parents dont pay me as its my choice to have that time off

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I take 4 weeks hols at half pay, I don't charge bank holidays or when I am sick, but full fee to parents if child if sick or they take a holiday

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, that is good to know, currently I charge full rate for bank holidays, and for when the little ones are ill or on holiday, but I would much prefer to not charge for bank holidays if it meant being able to charge 50% for a proper holiday!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have just replied to the other thread.

I take 5 weeks holiday (25 days which is still less than the government demand employers pay min wage staff!)

All cms should be taking a min of 5 weeks now that is the least any of their parents will be getting. You should never feel guilty about taking holiday, your parents don't taking theirs and as cm we do a very demanding job both physically and mentally and we need a break. Even if you don't actually go away just a break at home and some pottering to tidy up and catch up on paperwork will make you feel better. It is the break away from the children that is needed. If you can't afford to go away maybe plan in some days of attached to BH s so you have a long weekend or just take a a couple of long weeks spaced between the BH and your holidays. As long as you give plenty of notice the parents should be able to make arrangements. Remember when there are two parents they will have 10 weeks plus between them.

I charge half fee for my holiday, full fee for parents if they are off when I am working.

I charge for BH if they fall on a contracted day and are not used. Id they use them they pay double or triple fee depending which BH it is. I have always done this and have only been asked to work one Boxing Day in 19 years.

6. Likes margaret liked this post