Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Childcare element of tax credits

Hi all
    Not been on here for a while so a big hello to everyone !
    I'm just after some advice really, I had a parent who wanted me to look after her three children pick up from school on a Friday pm
    They only wanted temporary care which is fine
    They no longer require my services but today mum asked for my registration number for tax credits as she has been given her renewal!
    They only came to me for two hours on a Friday evening for six weeks from end of may to end of June
    My question is will she be entitled to claim any thing for this period
    I'm thinking she may want to claim fraudulently with my ofsted number am I bad for thinking this?
    Any advice would be appreciated
    Thanks jo
    Jo Jo

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Tricky one because if she does need to claim then she needs your EY number... what's your gut feeling? x

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't personally subscribe to the view that every client who wants my EY number is on the fiddle. In any case, anyone who knows my postcode can find my EY number straight off the Ofsted website.

I would personally give her the number. If I had an inkling they were maybe going to use it for TC fraud, 'remind' her that HMRC make a 'vast number' of spot-checks with CMs and that we have to co-operate with their enquiries. If you have good cause for suspicion, then report it to HMRC Fraud line.

I have to say I feel very disappointed with the number of times I see this sort of post. If it were me, I would not be working for a client if I felt I could not trust them. If I could trust them, then I would do just that - trust them, and not have to raise the matter. Everytime I make a shop purchase, I could be fiddling my tax return by putting the receipt through as false expenses; we all could. But we don't, and we'd be rightly offended if every shopkeeper reported us to HMRC for suspected fraud. So why do we treat clients with suspicion and expect everyone else to treat us with so much more respect?

4. Likes margaret, Goatgirl liked this post
    Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd give her my number, it's not top secret anyone could find it if they wanted to, it's not your job to be fraud investigator, you've got enough to do.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think there is anything wrong with coming to the forum to ask questions about anything you're not sure of, surely that's what it is in part for. And I don't think you're wrong to think that she might want to claim fraudulently, afterall we are constantly being told that govt. departments need to cut back and save money, so think we should all be on the look out for those claiming what they're not entitled to as it affects us all.

Like the others have said, I would probably give her my EY number as its quite easy to find it out anyway.

Cathy x.

7. Likes barbarella68, Goatgirl liked this post
    Mar 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all you advice
    Jo Jo

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't understand why this parent doesn't already have the registration number if care has already been provided - my number is on my contracts, receipts, newsletters - it's not a secret. And thanks for the tip about using receipts from shops to claim false expense, Bunyip - hadn't thought of that

Nov '11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good!
    Post Thanks / Like

Why do some people feel the need to be rude and unhelpful when replying to threads? The op was asking for a bit of advice!
    I know that sometimes it's hard to get the point across on the Internet but I do feel some posts are a bit patronising at times...

I would give them ur reg number, after all they would have had it at some point and if they popped in to see you it would be displayed on your certificate, I personally don't have a problem with anyone having it. If they choose to defraud the system, although it's wrong, is down to them and there would be no comeback to you at all so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

11. Likes hectors house, Wheelybug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Becci26;1267364]Why do some people feel the need to be rude and unhelpful when replying to threads? The op was asking for a bit of advice!
    I know that sometimes it's hard to get the point across on the Internet but I do feel some posts are a bit patronising at times...

Totally agree. I rarely ask questions now because I find I quite often get this sort of response.

Cathy x.

Nov '11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good!
    Post Thanks / Like

It's driving me potty Cathyd!

I know we are all entitled to our opinion and we have differing views but so often people get shot down in flames for asking a seemingly innocent question.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    Don't understand why this parent doesn't already have the registration number if care has already been provided - my number is on my contracts, receipts, newsletters - it's not a secret. And thanks for the tip about using receipts from shops to claim false expense, Bunyip - hadn't thought of that
    I'm working on the principle that the OP will have put the EY# on all the receipts, contract, etc. and be following the regulations by displaying it on the registration certificate at her/his setting. So I'm equally surprised that the mum needs to ask. That said, I have clients whose receipts just build up in their child's diaries, and at least one who says she's lost her copy of the contract. Never underestimate the disorganised mind.

june 98
    Post Thanks / Like

Default wendy1967

I would give your number to her and say just let me check all your details hours and payments,for when tax credits ring me to confirm everything,she doesn't no that they hardly ever check up,anyway they may just ring.