Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Is this OK?

Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is this OK?

Hi lovely people, can you let me know if you think this would be OK?

I have a baby going on a 5 month retainer (signing contracts on 21st June)
    I have my own 14 month old.

On a monday I have another 14 month old 8-4.30

I have just had an enquirey about having a 16 month old from 12.30-6pm Monday, (plus some other hours on other days).

I think that officially this puts me over my limit from 12.30-4.30 just on the monday. Does that fact that the baby is on a retainer and I know for a fact the mum won't want to call on me make a difference?

Also worth noting is the fact that the 14 month old is likely to be moving away at some point in the next few months (almost certainly before the baby takes up the place full time and comes off the retainer!)

The 16 month's family is going through a rough time and I'd like to help if I can, I wonder if I can just go for it, if I need to say I can't do the monday?

It's hurting my brain! All advice appreciated!

jul 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I did this .I had one space but it was due to be filled 3month later .but I knew one of the other LO was leaving a month later ,I stayed with 3 under 5 so it was fine. .I didn't have a retainer though so I dont know if that makes a difference, I personally would give the retainer back as there isn't a space available but take a deposit for the date they are due to start

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

The retainer is for 5months, for a full time place (50%) -I can't afford to give it back and offer a deposit. Maybe I should ring ofsted and see what they say, although they are often vague. the last time I called they said as long as it was in line with the EYFS....
    . It would just be 4 hours where there was an overlap. Maybe if I tell parent of the 16m old that if the parent paying the retainer needs the space they have to have it (and explain this is very unlikely) or just say i can do tues and thurs but not the monday. Agh.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You cant really charge a retainer for a space that someone else is going to use. You should give the mum who is paying her money back. Else you are being paid twice for the one space.

You cant grant yourself a variation for 4 under 5 as its a new business..

This thread by Sarah explains it.

Changing ratios - variations - a reminder
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

5. Likes angeldelight, The Juggler liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with fussy

Angel xx

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice. I've turned her down. I'm not good at saying no to people when they ask for help, but have to get better at being business minded! After a few months of quiet business has suddenly boomed and it's hard to slot in lots of part-timers around each other! Really appreciate the advice thanks everyone.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would offer the parent who needs it now any time that she wants under the provisio that if the parent who is paying a retainer needs the space then you would have to give it to her first.
    Debbie