Parent working 10 week rota - how do I charge?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Parent working 10 week rota - how do I charge?

I need a little help as I need to make sure I'm working things out correctly.

I have a parent who has recently changed their job and is working on a 10 week rota Monday to Sunday and works 4 days per week so I have no set days. For example one week I could be working Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri and another week I could be working Tues, Fri, Sat and Sun but the child also visits their other parent every other weekend.

I would be having the child for 5 hours on weekdays and 8 hours for weekends and holidays up until September when I would be having the child for 2 hours on weekdays and then 8 hours at weekends and holidays.

I charge £3.50 per hours weekdays, then £5.00 an hour for Sat and £7.00 per hour Sun

I also should mention that I will be paid with tax credits so need to work out a weekly fee.

How would you work this out?

Thanks Xx
    Last edited by diddledumplings; 02-06-2013 at 04:49 PM.

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I would work out the total cost for the 10 weeks and then divide it by 10, if you are willing to offer a flexible contract.

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, that's a tricky one, never met a parent with a 10 week rota before!

I would add up the total hours (at the relevant rate) over the full 10 week rota and divide by 10 to get an average amount per week? At least for the purposes of
    Tax Cedits. You might then either charge the same every week or add up the cost for each week and charge as such? Or you could come up with a weekly amount that you are happy with and charge the same every week regardless of how many hours...

Does that make sense? I've confused myself (doesn't take much!)

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

are you happy to work sat and sunday? if you are then what I would do is charge for 4 1/2 days per week each week as you can't take any other children on if you need to keep the days free (4 full days plus 1/2 fee retainer for 5th day) then IF you work a Sat or Sunday or both you would top up and invoice for weekend charges.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

5. Likes dette liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally I'd be wary of working out a weekly average. One or other of you is going to feel aggrieved when someone takes a week off and it wasn't an 'average' week, IYSWIM.

I'd bill the actual hours used over the next payment period, whether the client is paying monthly or weekly. It's not your responsibility to make the calculation easy for them or for their Tax Credits claim. It's your job to make the calculations accurate. The rest is up to them.

Btw, this "I also should mention that I will be paid with tax credits so need to work out a weekly fee." is wrong at several levels. You are not responsible for doing the maths for their TC application. They can work out the average for TCs for themselves like big boys and girls (which every claimant has to do anyway, allowing for holidays/closures, whether or not they work shifts.) You are responsible for providing accurate information and evidence to HMRC if and only if they ask for it as part of an investigation. You will not be paid with Tax Credits. You will be paid by the parents and it's up to them to reclaim whatever TC they are entitled to. Understand this for yourself and make sure the parents also understand it. There have been too many 'hard luck story' posts on here from CMs who didn't get paid cos they let their clients think the fees were somehow linked to them getting the 'right' TC payments on time. Don't let it happen to you.

7. Likes caz3007 liked this post
    jul 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
    are you happy to work sat and sunday? if you are then what I would do is charge for 4 1/2 days per week each week as you can't take any other children on if you need to keep the days free (4 full days plus 1/2 fee retainer for 5th day) then IF you work a Sat or Sunday or both you would top up and invoice for weekend charges.
    I agree x
    I work every other weekend and it can be a big earner, although I would prefer not to work them.
    I use the extra money to have a nice day out with my kids and the mindees that way the day goes fast and my own LO don't feel resentful that I'm working