Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Weekends and Overnight

Hi,

I had a visit from a potential parent a few weeks ago asking for care for her 18 month old son. She decided to go with a nursery but, yesterday I received a text from her, asking about weekend and overnight care.

I used to work every other Saturday but now my days have changed, and in the process, currently have Fridays off after the morning school run, alongside all weekend.

The potential parent said it would only be 1 weekend out of 4, twice a month at the most but it would be for a full 24 hours. She said herself, that she needs a reliable "babysitter".

Would you agree to this? How much would you charge? My usual hourly rate is £3.50.

Please help, said I would get back to her today!

Thanks xxx

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

if you are happy to do it I would charge £5 per hour during the day and £6 per hour over night.

But that is just me, I have to say I would not want to take this on as I value my family time at the weekend.

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Unsocial hours (before 8am, after 6pm weekdays, weekends and bank holidays) I charge £6 per hour

If you're 'happy' to work unsocial hours, make sure you get what you feel you're worth or you could end up resenting it later

Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been tempted to say yes to weekend work as a boost to the income. But this temptation didn't last long when it sank in that I wouldn't get a day off lol
    I have a £40 overnight fee , say from 7-7 or depending on when they sleep and then unsociable rates after 6pm and before 8 am
    It's a Long ole time but I guess depends when she needs the hours to start from? And if baby sleeps well! Nice earner if you can manage it.

Jun 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I only consider antisocial hours alongside a full package of care. Ie the social hours as well as the antisocial.

I see quite a lot of enquiries for after hours care picking up from a day nursery (adverts where parents are looking for a nursery 7am to 6pm and a childminder to collect from the day nursery at 6pm and.cover until parent collects as and when needed) and I refuse to support the nurseries by taking the naff hours that they won't do. They are my competition, so I'm not about to support them

That said, I have quoted once for a similar enquiry based on what made it 'worth it' to me. Child was already in nursery so parent wanted her to stay for continuity but working hours had changed. Parent didn't agree that my quote was worth it lol.

Think carefully before giving up precious weekends and evenings, they might be the only thing keeping you sane in this job.
    Apologies for the random full stops. Phone buttons too small, thumbs too big.

6. Likes tess1981 liked this post