Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    dec 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Default feel i could cry...deposit problem

After messed about before i descided on for new contracts i would ask for half months fee as a deposit to hold the space and it knocked off first months invoice. Lost 2 potential clients now. Both teachers who were really impressed. One of which tried to barter me down in regards to fees too. One came last night and was like yeeeyy we found our childminder then gave me the blow just. And i just dont know what to do.... i would be happy to say no deposit normaly but holding spaces that are term time only for sept is tricky...its ages away. I need to make sure they will come.bk so to speak....sorry not much to this post.... just angry

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

aww hon, it's horrible when people let you down. So sorry. sending a hug.

I would always take a deposit myself.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

stay strong to yourself, the perfect family is just a call away x these families were obviously not right for you and if they start by trying to knock you down how do you think it would continue?

4. Likes Tealady, loocyloo liked this post
    May '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

These people just aren't the right families for you.

If paying the deposit it a hardship, you could suggest to parent that they pay by instalments. June - Sept is ample time to build up the deposit.

However, I would suggest keeping the deposit till the last two weeks of the contract, forfeited if the place isn't take up / they breach other terms and conditions.

6. Likes loocyloo, Kiddleywinks liked this post
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

No wonder you are angry. So sorry to hear this. Asking for a deposit isn't unreasonable, especially to keep a place til September. I agree with what others have said, they weren't right for you. And if they were going to be like this over the deposit, they're likely to be unreasonable about other things later on.

dec 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys... in need of a hug. Ofsted loomin too. Next week and im nervous already. Scared ive missed sumert

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

it does all seem to come at once, just deal with it all one thing at a time and prioritise x you will get there and be stronger for it x

Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I take half a months refundable deposit aswell . Nothing wrong in that! Sometimes I accept a cheque and either take it off the first month or tear it up. I guess I'm risking a cheque bouncing, but..
    You never know, they may be back once they realise that's what a lot of people do!
    Good luck with ofsted. Have you read one of Sarah's e books about being ready?
    May help you focus?

feb 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I give my families the option to pay 1 months deposit and pay monthly in arrears or pay monthly in advance. If I was doing it for sept I would expect a deposit as you could hold that place or them to turn around in sept and say they don't need you.

I wouldn't feel bad. If they're not willing to pay a deposit they would probably mess you about later anyway. Better off without that!

X

Jan12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i agree with the above- i never took deposits but i have learnt the hard way and have now signed up a child for a october start and have taken 2 weeks non refundable deposit

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I take 1 months non refundable deposit in cash when the contract is signed. If parents don't use me I would keep deposit if not it is their first months childcare. Payments are in advance at the end of the month for the following month. No pay, no care. Be very clear about this, if they are unsure about paying then it is because they are not committed to using you and are keeping their options open. Best let them go elsewhere and you will find another family. Good luck with Ofsted.

Sep 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont do deposits, but then again I dont hold places

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

*hug* Like pp said, maybe when they get to understand how things work re childcare places, they will see that it's reasonable xx

I have two teaching families starting in September and they understood why I was asking them to pay a months non-refundable fees when we signed the contract.

Hope you get a lovely Ofsted inspector! x

May 13
    Post Thanks / Like

I think half a months deposit for term time only to hold a place till September is more than reasonable !!! Don't let them get you down stay strong

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lubeam View Post
    I think half a months deposit for term time only to hold a place till September is more than reasonable !!! Don't let them get you down stay strong
    I agree. You've been perfectly reasonable and just hit a bit of bad luck with those particular families.

I always get payment in advance but didn't used to take any sort of deposit. Then I got st1ffed last September. I signed up a reception class starter well in advance, no deposit and was going to get the 1st month's fee just before the arrangement started. Spent £80+ putting Mrs Bunyip through the first aid course, and spent a lot of time on research cos the child had various allergies and carried an auto-injector. 'Phoned the client at the end of August, only to be told "no longer required". I had nothing to show for it apart from the learning experience. Couldn't even chase them for a month's notice as 'settling in' period allowed either party to give immediate notice with no obligation.

At least I learned my lesson.

Really glad I did. A CM friend of mine got stung by a rather odd incident, and I heard of at least 2 cases of this happening locally. Parents signed up with 2 different CMs for different days of the week and sent the lo along to both during 'settling in' period. Parent regarded it as a 'trial period', decided which CM they'd rather stick with, and gave immediate notice to the other CM just before the end of the 4th week whilst incresing the hours at their chosen CM. All perfectly legal, but not at all nice.

That's why I now take a 'start-up' deposit and don't refund it until the client is into the full contract.

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    I agree. You've been perfectly reasonable and just hit a bit of bad luck with those particular families.

I always get payment in advance but didn't used to take any sort of deposit. Then I got st1ffed last September. I signed up a reception class starter well in advance, no deposit and was going to get the 1st month's fee just before the arrangement started. Spent £80+ putting Mrs Bunyip through the first aid course, and spent a lot of time on research cos the child had various allergies and carried an auto-injector. 'Phoned the client at the end of August, only to be told "no longer required". I had nothing to show for it apart from the learning experience. Couldn't even chase them for a month's notice as 'settling in' period allowed either party to give immediate notice with no obligation.

At least I learned my lesson.

Really glad I did. A CM friend of mine got stung by a rather odd incident, and I heard of at least 2 cases of this happening locally. Parents signed up with 2 different CMs for different days of the week and sent the lo along to both during 'settling in' period. Parent regarded it as a 'trial period', decided which CM they'd rather stick with, and gave immediate notice to the other CM just before the end of the 4th week whilst incresing the hours at their chosen CM. All perfectly legal, but not at all nice.

That's why I now take a 'start-up' deposit and don't refund it until the client is into the full contract.
    Bunyip can i ask how you word this then? I too have the settling in month where either party can give immediate notice. You keep the deposit if they leave within this period , ie not into the full contract. But on rereading my contract several times Im unclear whether this is legal. i think I need to change the wording to make it clear ( and watertight!)

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    Bunyip can i ask how you word this then? I too have the settling in month where either party can give immediate notice. You keep the deposit if they leave within this period , ie not into the full contract. But on rereading my contract several times Im unclear whether this is legal. i think I need to change the wording to make it clear ( and watertight!)
    Extract from my admissions policy:-

No agreement to provide a service shall exist until both parties have agreed and signed a contract. I may require the payment of a deposit and/or retainer in order to reserve or hold a place for future use. In addition to any other payment, I normally require parents to pay a deposit of £## to secure a place. This deposit will not be refunded if the parents fail to take up the place on the agreed date; if they terminate the contract before the end of the four week settling in period; or if I terminate the contract within that period for reasons of unacceptable conduct by the parent or child (e.g. threatening behaviour, racial abuse, or other unacceptable behaviour.) If I terminate the contract within the four week settling in period for any other reason I shall refund the deposit, less any outstanding payment for fees which may be due to me. This represents the limit of my liability. Otherwise, at the end of the four week settling in period, I shall count the deposit as credit toward the next payment of fees.
    I then put a note to this effect onto the contract too.

If that's any good, then I expect it will be cut&pasted into 1000 CM's files by lunchtime, and up for sale on fleaBay by midnight.

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Extract from my admissions policy:-

I then put a note to this effect onto the contract too.

If that's any good, then I expect it will be cut&pasted into 1000 CM's files by lunchtime, and up for sale on fleaBay by midnight.
    Bunyip do you mind if I include part of that please? I wont sell it ...honest!!

Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I like it bunyip- please can I have it too

Feb 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh dear. Sending you hugs. I agree with previous poster if they were arguing about your prices now they would probably be a pain in **** every time it was payday. Hopefully the next person to make enquiries will be perfect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast