Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default saturday babysitting in my home

Hi
    It is my first post on here, so I want to say hello to everyone

now, I have a question.
    I have require to babysit siblings -2 children (4 months and 3 years old). These are not my minded children. I'll do it in my home as I'll have my kids to look after too. it's gonna be 4.30pm till just after midnight
    How much should I charge? My normal rate is 3.75 per hour in working hours and £6 on Saturday.
    How much to you charge for babysiting?
    I live in North East.
    thanks in advance

Oct 05
    Post Thanks / Like

No idea as to what you charge but as they are going to be your house for longer than 2hrs and you are getting paid for it then it will class as childminding! You will need to do contracts and all the normal paperwork aswell x

oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree - this is not babysitting. It is childminding because its in your home.
    Babysitting takes place in the childs own home.

Post Thanks / Like

Your own children aren't all under 5 are they? As previously said it would be classed as cm and would take you over your numbers
    Mandy xx

Feb 14
    Post Thanks / Like

When i did my first pre-reg briefing we were told that after 6pm its classed as babysitting. Maybe that's what op was told too?

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

So why can't childminders babysit in their own homes. I mean my two daughters often babysit at my house at weekends as it has all the facilities and it's always over two hours and they get paid.

So does that mean that once you are registered you can no longer babysit non minded children unless it's in their home ?
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree you need to be careful not to go over numbers, but other than that, I would charge your 3.75 rate until six or half past, and then go up to 5 for the rest of the session.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wendywu View Post
    So why can't childminders babysit in their own homes. I mean my two daughters often babysit at my house at weekends as it has all the facilities and it's always over two hours and they get paid.

So does that mean that once you are registered you can no longer babysit non minded children unless it's in their home ?
    I guess it's down to the definition. Childminding is when children are looked after in a home that isn't their own, but babysitters look after children in their own home. It might depend how old your daughters are as well. If they're under 18 they wouldn't be able to be registered childminders anyway.

I would say your daughters are childminding, not babysitting.

If it was as easy to say "I'm not childminding, I'm babysitting in my own home", there would be no illegal, unregistered childminders. They could all say the same thing. Just because you call it babysitting doesn't mean it's not childminding!

9. Likes christine e liked this post
    Oct 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure the rules are that if you are caring for a child in your own home home for more than 2hrs and getting a reward for it (£, good etc) then it is classed as childminding and you should be registered. The only exception allowed on this is if it is an arrangement between friends where the reward is childcare in return. There was a large court case where 2 friends had been caught doing this a few years ago and it was then this exception was deemed allowed

So yes those who are 'babbysitting' in their own homes are working illegally, I would say a babysitter works in a childs home or isnt a baby sitter at all!

http://www.dudley.gov.uk/resident/ea...is-it-for-you/

Ofsted | About the two early years and childcare registers

BBC NEWS | UK | Babysitter or childminder?

11. Likes christine e liked this post
    Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post

I guess it's down to the definition. Childminding is when children are looked after in a home that isn't their own, but babysitters look after children in their own home. It might depend how old your daughters are as well. If they're under 18 they wouldn't be able to be registered childminders anyway.

I would say your daughters are childminding, not babysitting.

If it was as easy to say "I'm not childminding, I'm babysitting in my own home", there would be no illegal, unregistered childminders. They could all say the same thing. Just because you call it babysitting doesn't mean it's not childminding!
    I would agree, your daughters are childminding, not babysitting.

13. Likes christine e liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Just phoned Ofsted to check and as it is not care by registered minders and not a regular child or regular hours then they would not be interested. My daughters are 24 and 20
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

But the OP IS a registered cm and so it does count as childminding.

Doesn't it?

16. Likes christine e liked this post
    dec 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Also camt remember off top of my head but ofsted only regulate between certain times.

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

You do not have to be a registered childminder in the following instances.

If you only provide care between 6pm and 2am on domestic premises (babysitting arrangements). Domestic premises can be your own home or someone else’s home.

If you provide care where a child does not stay with you for more than two hours a day, even if your childcare service is open for longer than

this was taken from ofsted fact sheet registration not required.

As the children are arriving before 6pm you need to treat as childminding and stick to the regulations.

Dec 12
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for yours reply

so if mum wants to use me only once, what contract shall I use? what paperwork I need?