Sibling discount, yes or no?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sibling discount, yes or no?

I am due to take on my LO's baby brother in August. I was wondering if anyone offers a sibling discount and if so how much? Obviously i can't afford to reduce the fee too much, so is it "childminding etiquette" to not offer anything?

Thank you xxx

Apr 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Definitely definitely NO. I did this once and wished that I hadn't done so. 1 place = 1 fee. Why should one parent pay more than another for what is basically the same service??
    I'm not paranoid - the world IS out to get me!

3. Likes bellacat liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

No, I don't offer a sibling discount. The sibling is still taking up a space and isn't going to be treated any less than any other child so why should you charge less. I've had parents ask but they've been okay about it once I explain why I don't offer it.

xxxx

5. Likes Bob liked this post
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

No.

The only discount I give is to a family of three. Instead of charging 3.50 each child I do 8.80 for all three.
    But they have been with me from the beginning, my first mindees so I don't mind
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Mar12
    Post Thanks / Like

No discount here either if I could I would charge siblings more they are usually alot harder than the other. I've got 1 set at mo 6 month old baby and 3 year old sibling. Lo is at baby all day fri the moment they arrive until they go home telling when what baby should be doing then u get the whole mummy doesn't do it like that. I've caught lo I don't know how many times trying to wake baby up from a nap. It's hard work believe me.

Dec 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I did when i started with my first mindees, £4 per hour for 2 year old and £3.50 for her school aged sister, i thought it would attract more people as I was slighty more expensive than other minders in the area. It didnt take long for the other minders that i got talking to to put their ratess up to mine and i recently got rid of the discount instead of putting my hourly rate up so now they are on the same.
    I woudnt offer it for 2 siblings now but am considering charging £10 per hour for 3 siblings in the near future, I have heard mum talking to another childminder too so want to stay competitive

Dec 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. That has really helped. I will definately not be offering a discount for 2nd child, 3rd maybe.

XXX

Jan 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

No, two places taken= two full fees charged xx

11. Likes ziggy, bellacat liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I did reduce for two sisters but that was more because they would have been my first mindees and I wanted to get going

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely not unless they ask .. I have siblings and mum has never asked.. Be prepared in case though., as others have said more work not less! But three in childcare is expensive so maybe it would be an attraction in that case?