Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Not doing well over here!

If you have seen a few of my posts you will know that I only just got registered in May. I paid a further £20 this month on childcare site as there was a parent on there I thought might be interested. I sent her a message and we got into a dialogue and I was asked what I charge when they are on holiday. I said I charge half my rate when a child is on holiday as I can't mind another child for a short amount of time.

Well I'm now wondering if this was a mistake as I haven't heard back since! I decided I would charge half rate for a child being away on holiday because I had seen other posts where a client might take advantage of gran being off work (for example) and so taking the child to gran for a free week of care. What do you all think?

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

They should snap your hand off, most childminders say full fee when parent is on holiday. I have found few parents that answer straight away so this is normal I'm afraid!

3. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with Rick - I charge full fee when a parent takes a holiday and no fee when I am closed. I am a business and couldn't afford not to be paid if a parent decides not to bring their child for any reason.

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps I am being too generous then! Do you know what nurseries do? I am assuming they charge when child is on holiday? How much notice do you ask the parent gives you for their holiday? And what would happen if they didn't give you the required notice?
    Last edited by itsybitsyteeny; 15-05-2013 at 12:11 PM.

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Nurseries will charge all year through with exceptions of Xmas day etc.

I charge full price for child illness, holidays. my 4-5 weeks holidays and my illnesses are free of charge
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you are actually being generous at half rate when the child is on holiday. Cause you will be losing money and the parents gets full pay on holidays. I just registered in jan and have had parents who enquire about my fees and never get back, some even book appointments and dont show up , and some dont even get back to you after a visit. Some parents are just like that..

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Olire that must be so annoying, parents not turning up! Have you got your mindees now?

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the others, you are being more than generous!! The parents I currently have pay half if they are on holiday, but they have been with me for a while. Any new ones I take on will be full pay if I am open and they don't use me for any reason, be it holiday or sick. If I am not available for any reason there will be no charge!

Sometimes people just don't bother getting back to you either way - rude I know but unfortunately that's just the way some people are

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Stick with what you decided you wanted to charge - if you drop from half fee for holidays to nothing then you will regret it - some people just like to waste time, I had a lady and child come to visit me and she seemed impressed but I didn't hear anything from her, when I saw her recently at the fields with her dog, she said a friend was looking after baby instead.

forget this one, move on and think of another advertising method - how about handing out leaflets outside your local NCT / or similar sale - all the people going in are parents, grandparents (or childminders).

Post Thanks / Like

If I am available I charge, if I not available I don't charge. Makes it easy for parents to understand. This year I have had one of my parents go on 3 holidays already, if they can afford this they can afford to keep their space. I know childminders who don't charge for parents holidays and they end up taking lots of time off, as you say using grandparents or splitting their holidays to save money, some minders will offer the first 2/4 weeks free to stop this from happening. Its up to you to judge what you feel comfortable with.

aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Given notice most parents will take the same holidays as me

if they take a holiday when im working they still pay full price

apart from 2 , who I have different contracts with , for personal reasons I decided to give them 2 weeks free holiday time per year .

But dont think that you blew it becasue of that , she probably hasnt given it a second thought

sometimes parents take forever to get back to you on there

some never do

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Good news - she has arranged to come for a visit next week.

Nt so good news.. I have already said that holidays would be charged at half rate.

Oh well we live and learn!

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by itsybitsyteeny View Post

Nt so good news.. I have already said that holidays would be charged at half rate.

I bet you any money she has spoken to other childminders who have said full fee for parent holidays! But at least you might get this contract because you charge half fees!

Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to charge half for their hols with at least 4 weeks notice, but have since changed it. It annoyed me, as I budget months in advance, so if a parent sprung a hol on me for end of next month, I'm down on money.

I now charge for 48 weeks of the year, and divide it by 12, so parents aren't paying for my 4 weeks off, but still pay the same amount each month, so when we are off I'm not down on money. If I'm open - they pay. Exactly like a nursery would charge!

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

What usually happens on a first visit? I am assuming I don't whip out all the paperwork lol I will put out toys etc for the little one to get busy with. Also what did you all put in your 'parent pack'?

Mar 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge full fees for their holidays, their sick days and bank holidays. I do not charge for my holidays and sick days. I don't mind if they only give 24 hours notice before they go, just as long as I get paid!! I always give a least 6 weeks notice, as they have to find other childcare.

I had a parent come and see me last week, I told her about holiday pay, she looked shocked that I charge for their holdiays and sick days. I was the first childminder thay had seen, I just thought to myself, just you wait until you see more childminders, you will get the message!! Everyone does the same

Sept 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Great that she's coming back. I don't think it would be unreasonable when you are going through all your terms to say that yes, as discussed parent hols are half fee BUT this is limited to x number of weeks a year & only with a minimum month notice in advance so at least there is some protection against unlimited number of weeks or last minute cancellations.

19. Likes Chimps Childminding, sing-low liked this post
    Sept 12
    Post Thanks / Like

What usually happens on a first visit? I am assuming I don't whip out all the paperwork lol I will put out toys etc for the little one to get busy with. Also what did you all put in your 'parent pack'?
    I usually just sit & chat with the parent whilst trying to interact with their LO plus any mindees! I talk about what I do, routines, day trips, food, sleeping arrangements etc, give a little tour of my house & garden then leave my parent folder on the table for them to look at whilst I try & distract the children away!
    My parent pack has:

1. My Setting: half page about me inc family set-up etc, brief description of a typical day, weekly menu, yearly plan (topics), weekly timetable of local activities we might attend, new starters guide (settling-in sessions, what to pack etc)
    2. Administration: Fees & charges, holiday & sickness, P&P, permission forms etc, blank contract, blank child record form
    3. Qualifications & Certificates: Ofsted/1st aid certificates, insurance docs, any training courses I've been on etc

21. Likes sing-low liked this post
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your replies. You really are a helpful bunch! If only you could get paid for offering advice

Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge 1/2 fee for their first 4 weeks so long as 4 weeks notice is given. But also 1/2 fee for my first 4 weeks again with 4 weeks notice given. Aftrr first 4 weeks any holiday for them is full fee and any I have over 4 weeks is free.

So works the same as full fee for 4 weeks but I still get some money when I'm off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast