Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What would you charge?

Hi

I have a meeting tomorrow about taking on a 14m old and a 3 year old. Initially this was ft for the youngest and half days for the eldest (dropping and collecting from nursery). As this fitted perfectly with me I was happy to just charge for the actual hours per child.

Things have changed now but I don't yet know what her new shift pattern is. I am trying to work through different scenarios to be prepared when she asks what I would charge.

What would you charge if she wants 4 out of the 5 days for these two children, but the days were flexible. I am thinking of just going with the 4 day charge as it would be nice to get a day off.

The other scenario people have asked me about is three days on three off, so depending on the week ( as partner doesn't work weekends) I may have the children 1-3 days. As I would have to keep the days free and couldn't take on other children I am thinking of offering a 4 day fee.

I think I would already be offering a saving by not charging a full day for the eldest, but I can understand when you are the one having to pay it can be expensive. Childminders in my area don't seem to advertise their fees so it is difficult to compare.

Any thoughts would be welcome thank you :-)

Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

I've just taken on a shift worker so it can be anything between 1-4 days a week. I charge s minimum of 2 days per week and anything over that on top.

I was going to charge a retainer for the hours not used but thought this was being a little greedy so settled with the 2 days (not actually a lot cheaper) and parents seem happy.

It's about finding a meeting point you are both happy with.

If they're definitely going to use 4 days a week over the 5 days I'd just charge for the 4 or you still have to be available on the 5th day if they want to use it (you won't be guaranteed your day off).

3. Likes mmichellled liked this post
    Nov 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a little boy who's parents both work shifts & they can't tell me till Monday what days I have him that week so it's a very flexible arrangement! We looked over a months worth of shifts and decided that on average it was 3 days one week, 2 days the next week. So this is what I charge averaged out across a year so that they always pay the same monthly amount. If they use more hours I invoice the extra at the end of the month. If they use less then it makes no difference and they still pay the same monthly amount as they are happy to pay that for the flexibility being offered.

As it turned out I often only have him one day a week or sometimes no days! But they never send him when they don't need me just to use the hours up! I always felt guilty about this but Ive got over it a bit as they're really happy.

They're a lovely a family & it's been great working with them but I do wish Id waited for a more stable arrangement to come along. He'll be going to school in Sept anyway so that will free up my space again. Just be careful to REALLY think about what you'd be happy to take on in the long term & if it works for you financially. We are running a business after all. Good luck x