Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default need help with wording for rate increase

Hello

I want to increase my rate by 30p an hour which is still one of the cheapest in the area. I am not very good with formal letters and I was wondering if a few people could share the wording that you used when you informed your parents so that I can copy a few lines.

I want to attach it to the invoice at the end of the month giving 30 days notice.

Thank you so much.

Moira

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I said this last year on a newsletter obviously your circumstances are different as you haven't been minding very long -"Sorry folks, but due to the every increasing costs of gas, electric, petrol, food, etc, and the fact that I have not put my charges up for 4 years!, I will be increasing my hourly rate from £3.60 to £3.75 from the beginning of September. For most of you this will mean an increase of less than £1.50 a day."

Have you gained any extra qualifications or attended training which means you are more qualified than when you registered? 30p does seem a very large increase - did you not check out the going rates in your area before you advertised your rates? But there again are the people who are charging lots more full or have they all got spaces? I would definitely give more than 30 days notice - I gave my parents 6 months!

May 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    I said this last year on a newsletter obviously your circumstances are different as you haven't been minding very long -"Sorry folks, but due to the every increasing costs of gas, electric, petrol, food, etc, and the fact that I have not put my charges up for 4 years!, I will be increasing my hourly rate from £3.60 to £3.75 from the beginning of September. For most of you this will mean an increase of less than £1.50 a day."

Have you gained any extra qualifications or attended training which means you are more qualified than when you registered? 30p does seem a very large increase - did you not check out the going rates in your area before you advertised your rates? But there again are the people who are charging lots more full or have they all got spaces? I would definitely give more than 30 days notice - I gave my parents 6 months!
    Thanks for your reply. The CM in this area charge £6ph and they have 4-6 weeks full paid holiday (i dont charge for mine). I Started on £5.50 as I didnt have the experience or references etc.. I now want to go up to £5.80 as I offer a very good service here and have excellent references.

Sept 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Golly gosh! I'd live to be earning that kind of money. Where do you live? I've been minding for 10 years in West Wales & now charge £3.20 per hour. Not many CMs in my town but plenty if nurseries. 2 of these charge the same as me & one is far less. I couldn't possibly even manage to charge £3.50! Likewise, I included notice in a newsletter that due to an increase in the cost of living etc & the fact I hadn't increase prices for 4 years to help parents as much as possible, I would be increasing my rate from September. I sent this in the April.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

have you thought of writing something like,

I have thought long and hard and made a purely business decision to increase my rate from xxx to xxx. This increase will take effect from xx of xxx. I am still priced below the local market, which is currently priced from xxx.

I feel that you dont need to go into any more detail than that and if the parents have questions or queries they will ask. You are also letting them know you have done your research.

I had to correct an omission from a couple of my contracts and dreaded the wording myself. This forum helped me pluck up the courage to write to the parents and get the matter sorted. You can do it, the dread of what they will say is usually worse than the actual result.

Apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear Parents

I have been reviewing my fees and will be increasing them to bring them in line with other childminders in the area. The new fees will be XXXX and will start on XXXX

Childminder

hth

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear X,

Please be advised that from 1st June 2013 my new hourly rate will be £5.80ph. I know price increases are never welcome and I have kept it as minimal as possible.

Kind Regards,

8. Likes MrsP2C liked this post