Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default retainer for maternity

Hi
    One of my cm children is leaving in July as mum starts her maternity leave. She wants to start back easter 14. This means I have to keep 2 spaces open from Sept-April. How would you charge a retainer fee? They are with me 29 hours, 5 days a week so I can not take on other children in the mean time. Would you charge half fees or full fee for both children till they start back in April? Both parents are secondary school teachers so are not struggling moneywise. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Dec 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Could the children not come to you for less hours? Whenever my
    Parents have gone on maternity leave the children have just reduced hours and i charged for.the hours they used and this was on the understanding that they came back to full hours when mum went back to work and that baby came to. That was written in to a contract and signed. It helps for continuity of care for the children and gives mum a break to.
    Good luck with whatever you decide.

May 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking of doing that, but I still have to keep the space open for the new baby, which is going to be for 8/9 months, so I'm basically keeping 2 spaces open 5 days a week with no guarantee that they will come back to me.
    I think what I will do is charge half fee for both and then, like you say care for the little one to offer continuity of care when mum needs a break.
    I'll talk to mum and dad see what they say.