Parent interviews - what would you do?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Parent interviews - what would you do?

I've got four sets of parents coming to see me this week starting with today. I've only got one full time under 5 space. They each want a mixture of days:
    A: wed thur n fri flexible hours ranging 10-5 and 12-5
    B: tue thur n fri from mid morning til tea
    C: mon and tue all day
    D: tue n thurs all day n fri aft.

A B and C want to start sooner but could be as late as July

D wants a sept start

A wants to also start with one day and gradually build to three days.

I can obviously see that A and C fit together and give me a full week of work and that I could only take either B or D on their own (I can only have one under 5 place due to my own LOs and my eldest starts primary in sept)

If I pretend that I live in a perfect world and all of these parents want to sign contracts with me starting with the parent coming today - what do I do?
    Say - cant sign today as I've got other parents coming ...
    Say - yes to the first parent who wishes to sign even if I know they will knock out the others coming later in the week?

I don't want to be seen to be treating parents unfairly but I also don't want to do myself out of a good job.

Any advice appreciated
    Little miss all in a tizz

Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd Just be honest, say you have ratios to work out to ensure all children get high level of care and you'll be in touch ASAP, once you've had the interviews and had time to have a think. Something new could come up at interview, different days or new start dates. Good luck xx

3. Likes bunyip, loocyloo, ziggy, Bob liked this post
    Dec 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice situation to be in
    As above says be honest, see how it goes, some maybe looking at other options as well.
    Good luck
    Let us know how it goes
    Angela x
    Owner of a static holiday caravan in Paignton

Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel a bit stressed to be honest. I've only had one other parent interview as I'm newly registered. I am used to dealing with parents from my previous job though.
    I don't for one minute think I will be in the situation of all four parents wanting a place!

Dec 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I had an interview last Friday first since last June, just got all bits ready photo albums, infro about EYFS, Polices, certifacates, also a list of things to ask/show them/tell them as I never remember everything then when they come show them around I usually spend the rest of the time sat on the floor with the toys and child parent often joins us on the floor.
    Hope it all goes well and you fill most of your spaces.
    Angela x
    Owner of a static holiday caravan in Paignton

Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I've found some parents want to look around a few settings anyway, so the chances of them signing up at first interview are slim I think. Giving you a chance to weigh everything up. Unless your the last one on their list! Id ask is if their days needed are set or flexible as due to ratios you would want to be able to accommodate. I once had a situation when a parent wanted to sign straight away that I had a child on one of the days they needed but the family were flexible. I said i would need to contact them first before I committed. it was true, but maybe something you coud say?! Depends how long between parents visits though I guess. And remember the best hours may not always be the best families! Yay to you for the enquiries :0)

Jul 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I never sign contracts at the first meeting anyway. I have had a few mums confirm straight away that they want the place but I always ask them to go home and have a chat with their partner and get in touch the next day. Then I invite them back a few days later to sign contracts. That way they don't feel pressured to make an instant decision and it also gives me some breathing space to decide if the family is going to be a good fit and to meet with any other families.

Also, I think you will be lucky if all four even show up. With that many booked you are practically guaranteed to get at least one no show!

Good luck and I hope it all goes well.

Jul 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would wait until I had seen all families. Just be honest with them and explain you have a number of people interested in the spaces and if they want to go ahead with you, then you will confirm at the end of the week whether you have the space available that they want.
    I had a situation with a lady wanting what at first appeared to be hours that were a perfect fit around my other mindees. Thankfully I didn't turn down an enquiry from someone else in favour of this lady as if turned out she changed her mind and wanted different days/hours that I couldn't accommodate.

Good luck with your meetings

Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice, today's parents have just left. Seemed like a positive meeting (but you never know). Now on to tomorrow's parents!

Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Update - with everyone's help and advice from this forum - 3 of the 4 parents who came to see me have come back to me asking for a place for their child - I am thrilled to say the least!

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Fab update, Little Miss, and fab advice from everyone - thanks

Nov '11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good!
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow that's great well done! :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Little miss View Post
    Update - with everyone's help and advice from this forum - 3 of the 4 parents who came to see me have come back to me asking for a place for their child - I am thrilled to say the least!
    Fab news! Hope u can get a good fit!

15. Likes christine e liked this post
    Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

That's great bet you're chuffed!!x

Feb 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done you.

Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done you! Do their hours all fit together ok?

Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. I was able to get a fit from two of the three sets of parents which means that I've filled my only under 5 place for the whole week (I've got two LO's of my own under 5). Totally chuffed and looking forwards to getting started in a few weeks time!

20. Likes lynncjt, cupcake22 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Little miss View Post
    Thanks everyone. I was able to get a fit from two of the three sets of parents which means that I've filled my only under 5 place for the whole week (I've got two LO's of my own under 5). Totally chuffed and looking forwards to getting started in a few weeks time!
    Brilliant glad It has all worked out after the stress!

Oct 84
    Post Thanks / Like

Whew I bet you're relieved. Jigsaw puzzles come to mind as you try and fit with everybody. Good luck.