Would you charge less for a friend
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Would you charge less for a friend

I'm just setting up as a childminder and my boyfriends best friend has just had a baby and wants me to take her on. I've Said yes once I'm sorted and she goes back to work but no payment was discussed as I said I hadn't decided what I was going to charge yet.

Would you charge your normal rates or reduce it ? I don't actually like the woman so don't really want to drop any fees for her!

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't drop it that much I would just say this is x amount I usually charge but because your a friend I will charge you x amount. Just drop it by a bit so if you charge £5 an hour for her do £4.25 an hour something like that. Hope it helps. Make sure you have a contract set up. Sometimes things go wrong.

Registered Childminder since
    aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you sure you want to have her child if you dont like her , its hard enough working with parents that you do like sometimes , but nearly impossible if you dislike them

if you do decide to go ahead will you be able to hide your dislike of her

as for fees , Id still charge the same

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I can hide my feelings lol I've been doing it for 3 years!
    Her daughter is a sweetie and I spend a lot of time with her anyway so that's not a problem.

I think I am just going to charge her full rates if she wants cheaper she can look elsewhere

5. Likes Tealady liked this post
    Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't mix business with friends and family. If you must treat them exactly as you would every other parent

7. Likes Chatterbox Childcare liked this post
    Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    Definatly charge the same and treat the same otherwise extra things may slip too like picking up late being felt as acceptable . I mind for 3 friends and I explained at the beginning that I needed to treat every parent equally. Was hard putting a late fee on for one of them but she was cool about it and actually offered to collect earlier next day aswell as a sorry lol

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

hon, I'll be honest. If you don't get on with her already, I foresee problems. This could result in your dh and his bf falling out.

She is not even back at work. Also what if you keep a place and then his partner changes her mind I would say that the space has gone
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Living in a small village i knew most of my parents before i minded for them. I charge the same as word soon gets round. I offer a discount for full time hours only.

I charged my son full amount when minding my own grandchildren

Post Thanks / Like

I would t offer any discount. I would charge her the same as everyone else. If she mentions mates rates I'd say no such thing in these tough times lol.

Jun 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If you give her a discount, you will be able to look forward to coming back here for us to do the 'i told you so' dance

Mates rates should be higher, for the extra stress that minding for friends or family can cause
    Apologies for the random full stops. Phone buttons too small, thumbs too big.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your replies

I'm definitely decided its full rate or nothing.

This is my business and I'm trying to make some money out of it!

If she falls out with me or bf.....oh dear! What a shame!

14. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Charge the SAME!!!!!!, you will kick yourself if you don't later down the line.

I charged 50p less for my sisters friend when I was very first starting out... 5 years later I had the guts to change her contract to co inside everyone else's contract.

Me & hub sat down one night & worked out what I'd lost in them 5 years & it was £5000.

I'm cool now but did kick myself for a couple of weeks when I realised!!!!!!
    wow 2012 already

Sept 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I stupidly gave lots of concessions to a family member, only pay when they are here, no pay for holidays or sickness, I don't know what I was thinking. Inevitably lo often isn't here at short notice as another family member has her for the day and I feel taken advantage of but it is my own fault they aren't doing anything wrong apart from not seeing it from my side. Lo is lovely so that helps but I would never do it again.

A friend said family and friends should view it as their lo is being looked after by someone they know and trust which in the end is worth far more than a financial discount. I never really thought of it that way but it is true. So thats what I thought of next time I was approached by a friend who was more than happy to pay full price just so I would be the one to look after her lo.
    Last edited by Daisy De; 19-04-2013 at 03:17 PM.

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Never give a discount! They will think you are desperate!
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Aug 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I have worked for friends before. I charged them the same as everyone else, if you give them a discount they could take advantage in other ways too. If they want to look elsewhere for cheaper childcare that's up to them. At the end of the day you are running a business. Hx