Advice on shift worker fees
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Advice on shift worker fees

Hi I would really appreciate thoughts before I respond to the following query. Not sure what to do as this could discount further work, but I don't want to say no and get no more enquiries.

The lady has a 4 and 18 month old. Her husband works 2 days then 2 nights then 4 days off. She works 3 days a week. She needs childcare for the 18 month old and drop off for the 4 year old to preschool. This would therefore be a maximum of 2 days and some mornings until her husband gets home from working a night shift (about 9.30).

My thoughts are I don't want to turn it down in case this is my only enquiry but I am aware this could discount any further work. I think my options are:

1- Just put up with that until September
    2- Charge a minimum daily rate
    3- Charge more per hour for the flexibility
    4- offer a more flexible contract where I say what I can do a month ahead.

What would you think of those?

Thank you :-)

Nov 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Most childminders I know would charge for the maximum amount of hours they need for every session even if they are less and would charge a full time space if the days vary. some also charge when a child is at pre school if required to drop off or pick up as again thats taking up a space.

If I could afford to I may be tempted to offer a weekly rate based on the 2 full days but would charge a higher rate than normal if they require the days to be flexible. If they needed more than the 2 days one week, then I would add this on as extra to the following months invoice

I would try and find out from other local childminders what they would do aswell

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

For me it would depend on whether she needed fixed days or flexibility over the whole 5 days.

I would charge full for the days needed and a min. of 5 hours on the day she needs a morning only.

If she wants you to keep open a space on all 5 days then I'd charge for 4 days in full or you can tell her you will charge for 3 days until someone else needs the place then you'll give her the option to pay a retainer for the other days or risk you not having availability.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! I probably am thinking of being too cheap then. I think I need a little more info on the hours that would be needed. It would be a shame to turn down as as soon as the eldest goes to school I would have another full time placement available.