Parent not wanting to pay notice period !!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Parent not wanting to pay notice period !!

Need a little help and advice ladies!
    I have a parent who has her Childcare paid for by student finance I am due a payment on the 8 th April, only today she gives me 4 weeks notice as she has decided to put little one in nursery closer to we're they live
    I have said she is contracted to give me 4 weeks notice she is refusing!
    Jo Jo

Jan12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you get paid directly by the college? I was in the same situation last year- phoned the college up and they honoured the 4 week notice

3. Likes Mouse liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

JOJO not sure if i have read your post wrong but you state that she has given you 4 weeks notice today? Is this correct or has she given you notice and is taking the child out of your care from next week for example?

Would she be able to stop the payment from the college? Or is that already coming to you? How many weeks is the college payment covering ie is it for work that you have already completed or work you are due to do?

Simona Guest

I know that times are hard for everyone but cms must protect themselves against this kind of thing happening
    it is absolutely legal to hold a 4 weeks' 'refundable' deposit...so why not do that?? parents are more likely to keep to the rules of your contract and not leave you short.

I am lucky I have had my contract checked by a solicitor and my accountant...it was worth the cost as I have never had any problems since
    Prior to that I was once taken to court by a parent who gave me 1 day notice instead of 4 weeks and wanted his deposit back as well without me working my notice...the magistrate told him he should have read the agreement and even awarded me costs...

Have a think and cover yourselves especially with the threat of agencies coming!

Mar 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Basically she gets paid by student finance into her account and is refusing to give me 4 weeks notice to end contract
    She has contradicted herself on saying how is she able to pay her nursery !! Then in another breath telling me if she pays me that money she will struggle up until sept! (Not my problem) she said in other breath she hasn't yet sorted alternative care ! She said we do I expect the money to come from !! Grrr
    Jo Jo

aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

so i assume she is removing her child with immediate effect , well tell her that she has signed a contract and is obligated to pay 4 weeks , whether she uses it or not

Why doesnt she leave the child with you and then move her to nursery in 4 weeks , is there a reason why she is unhappy with your service ?

The only thing you can really do is tell her that you will have to take her to small claims court for the missing amount

Mar 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

The family moved house in the new year so they said it will be easier to find Childcare nearer to them they were happy at my setting but after telling her i will seek legal action if the matter cant be solved, mum has got quite nasty with me asking for 4 weeks paid notice said I was only thinking of the money any way which has really upset me as I feel I provide more them just quality care! Her student finance is paid up to end of march so she is still required to pay me 4 weeks from today !!
    Jo Jo

Apr-08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jo Jo View Post
    The family moved house in the new year so they said it will be easier to find Childcare nearer to them they were happy at my setting but after telling her i will seek legal action if the matter cant be solved, mum has got quite nasty with me asking for 4 weeks paid notice said I was only thinking of the money any way which has really upset me as I feel I provide more them just quality care! Her student finance is paid up to end of march so she is still required to pay me 4 weeks from today !!
    Jo Jo, whatever she says let it go over your head. She can make whatever excuses and say whatever she likes but the bottom line is, she signed the contract which states a 4 weeks notice period. She doesn't have to use the 4 weeks but she does have to pay you.

I would write her a letter (and student finance if they are paying) stating what she owes and by what date it should be paid. Do you invoice her in advance or arrears? Dependant on that is when she should pay you by. Mention that you are happy to work the notice period. Keep all emotions out of it. You are running a business so keep it simple and to the point. Send the letter by recorded delivery so you have evidence she has received it. In meantime phone your insurance company and let them know whats happening so they can log it, in case you need their assistance.
    Last edited by Lottie; 02-04-2013 at 06:18 PM.