Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Charging for bank holidays

I currently don't charge for bank holidays however I am thinking of introducing this. If I charge for them, do I then have to work them if asked? How does everyone else go about this?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't charge for bank holidays as I am not prepared to work on one.

Jun 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't charge as I don't want to work them, some childminders charge normal rate, but if required to work them

mar06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I state I don't work bank holidays and payment is due! I've had no question about it the other person gets paid also

Aug 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I get paid half rate for bank holidays but would charge double to work them. Not been asked to work one yet

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge but don't work
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

Jun 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge them and will work them. Am working one at Easter, and worked Christmas Eve, both for one child only.
    Apologies for the random full stops. Phone buttons too small, thumbs too big.

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a don't work, don't charge person...but I see the other arguements!!

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I charge time and a half on bank holiday if a parent desperately wants me but I've said in a newsletter that I'm not intending to work them. I don't think I could charge then say I'm not open, doesn't seem fair

june 83
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i do charge for them but do not work them. I see it as the only holiday that I get paid for

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

Mmm, maybe I will work...time and a half may make it worth it!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Ive said to parents I dont wish to work them as it's my family time. But if you need me to work its £5.00per hour my standard rate is 3.50 so the little bit extra makes up for the lost time. And it depends on how desperate the parents are. Most have other family members who would be off so could have children.

Ju 2004
    Non childminder member
    Childminder group
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't work bank holidays and have always charged for them at normal fee. Never been challenged for it by a parent. Von x

Jul 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to charge for bank holidays even though I didn't work them. Then I took on a shift worker with different days each week and couldn't really ask her to pay for bank holidays. So now I have moved to a slightly higher hourly rate but don't charge for bank holidays anymore.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge normal rate for,Bank Holidays if not used and Double rate if worked but ask,for two weeks notice. Christmas Day and New Years Day are Triple pay and I did this to put anyone off using me as didn't really want to work those days, but was asked to worked New Years Day last year for two children 7.30am to 8.30pm which I did but, in the end, only charged Double rate.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never charged bank hols cos I don't want to work them. Like the argument that's they get paid for not working them so maybe I shud too!?!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll work them if needed, and will do so at my usual rate for that family. But I seldom get asked. I don't charge if they lo doesn't come to me on a bank holiday.

But that's me, and I wouldn't necessarily criticise any of the CMs here who do it differently, cos they have good reasons to do so. Anyway, it's more about the whole package of care/fees/T&Cs, and not about picking apart every last little aspect of the contract individually.

My approach tends to make me unpopular with some of the 'herd' of local CMs, not to mention my DO. I've been told, "that's not how we do it round here." To which my reply is, "I'm self-employed, but if you're part of a cartel, you just stick to your way and watch me do it my way."

I have a very strained relationship with one local CM over this. She doesn't offer bank holiday care: fine - her choice. But one of her mums desperately needed care cos she works some bank holidays, so I provided it on a purely ad-hoc basis at a fairly standard price, and she went back to her regular CM on the next day. The other CM hit the roof and accused me of 'poaching'. Insane.

Feb 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Its the whole deal that matters - not so much what is charged for this day and that day. However, to respond directly to the question raised in the original post, I do charge the rate that would have applied on that day but no service is available. I set out my terms very clearly at the outset of any contract so there is no doubt (or at least there shouldn't be) on the parents' part.

19. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

I include bank holidays as part of my annual holiday

I take 4 weeks plus bank holidays with full pay. This is my holiday entitlement. Never been queried, I don't see why it should be because parents get a lot more than I do from their jobs. Sick pay, paid time off for training, bereavement, dentist, doctors etc..... etc......

So many childminders under value their entitlement to holidays, I don't want to criticize but if you don't value yourself - no one else will

Do you think parents would except half pay for their holidays from their job?
    Do you think parents wouldn't expect to be paid for bank holidays?
    Do you think parents don't get an option to work bank holidays and at least get double pay if they do?

Why shouldn't you!! Your worth it

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by newbie View Post
    I currently don't charge for bank holidays however I am thinking of introducing this. If I charge for them, do I then have to work them if asked? How does everyone else go about this?
    I dont charge for bank holidays as I dont want to work them.

Your business your rules as you can see lots of different ways of doing it.

Thing to think about it - if you introduce payment for the day but you say you are not available will your curent parents like it? Will they see it as you wanting more money out of them but not wanting to work. Could you consider just introducing it for new parents?

Also a note not every parent will get paid extra money for working bank holidays. My dh doesnt bh and weekends are part of his working week so no extra for him.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast