Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Advice needed regarding late hours!!!

Hi guys,
    Ive just had a text from a parent who has previously used my servive on an adhoc basis whilst looking for a job. She has just asked for ; tuesdays 6pm-8.30pm, thursdays 6pm - 9.30pm , and then fridays 1pm - 4.30pm.!!!!
    My usual hours are 8am-6pm, and i charge £4 ph.
    The lady is very nice and just lives up the road and she is a single mum, so i would like to help, and could do with the extra money, but is it worth the hassle!!! Both those late nights my 12 yr old son has football training, so on tuesday we will be out till 7.30, and on thursdays we are out until 8pm..... she will of needed to be fed by the time she arrives, and perhaps will sleep in the car and buggy??!!
    Advice would be grately appreciated xxxx

dec 12
    Post Thanks / Like

For me personally It would be a little late as I used to have a child till 7pm and just found this a little late but I have younger children and that's the time we start our bedtime routine. If these are later nights for you anyway as your out then it may work well. If I was to ever take anyone on later than 6pm I would charge a little more maybe just £5 hr? You could explain that this is outside of your usual hours but would love to help and agree to do a 4 week settling period and see how everyone gets on? X

3. Likes butterfli liked this post
    Jun 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would charge double time for the evenings, its just not worth it otherwise.
    Apologies for the random full stops. Phone buttons too small, thumbs too big.

5. Likes butterfli liked this post
    Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think its a bit late too. If you want to do it then yes chatge a higher rate and have a trial period to see if it works for you and your family.

7. Likes butterfli liked this post
    Jul 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't do it either. I have had a child until 8pm before and just found the last hour way too draining. The little boy used to be really tired by then and would start screaming and wanting to be held, even though he had been a happy little chap all day. It was virtually impossible to get through my own children's bath time with a hysterical toddler clinging to my leg. 7pm is my limit now. But I guess it depends on how old the mindee is and if you have any other younger children of your own. It might also be hard to manage a tired child at football, that late in the evening. If I did ever agree to something like this, I would charge a minimum of £20 for an evening, as it just isn't worth it for less.

May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

no way - i start at 0730 and finish at 1830 and am shattered by then - i would not work that late into the evening they would end up in bed with me during the week
    I love my friends who live inside my laptop xx

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

It's too late for me, when ds2 did football training I like to go with him and concentrate on him, my children share me all day and I wouldn't want it to carry on into late evenings.

oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally wouldn't do it. Its just too late. i finish at 6pm at the latest.
    However if you wat to do it then do. You could always say you will do it for 4 weeks to see how it fits in with your routine.

I would charge double time from 6pm to make it worthwhile.

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

I would be asking how I would be able to meet the eyfs requirements? All the learning and development stuff? Seems to me like what she really needs is a babysitter in her own home...