Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    17/8/12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default No further care letter?

Hi all. Im after a bit of advice. Im having trouble with a mum who always pays late. I do get my money in the end but its never when im expecting it! This month she is nearly 10 days overdue and after repetedly asking her to transfer the money it just seems to 1 excuse after another! My question is... can i send out a 'no further care letter' due to unpaid fees if the fees due are fees in advance?? Hope that makes sense?? x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi I'm in the same situation and like you had enough! Looking forward to the advice given

3. Likes tarak liked this post
    Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sorry to hear you are having problems. I know there are many cm on here who have had to do the same thing. Im sure someone will be along soon with soem answers for you.

feb12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tarak View Post
    Hi all. Im after a bit of advice. Im having trouble with a mum who always pays late. I do get my money in the end but its never when im expecting it! This month she is nearly 10 days overdue and after repetedly asking her to transfer the money it just seems to 1 excuse after another! My question is... can i send out a 'no further care letter' due to unpaid fees if the fees due are fees in advance?? Hope that makes sense?? x
    Hi im a childminder and im having the same problem,i even had abuse of the parent because i charged them a £10 late fee charge.I rang legal advice (NCMA) and they said you can end the contract,so thats what i did.maybe if you dont want to do that,maybe you can ask her if paying monthy will be easier as she has only have to deal with one payment every 4 weeks? x

6. Likes tarak liked this post
    feb12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danielleadd86 View Post
    Hi im a childminder and im having the same problem,i even had abuse of the parent because i charged them a £10 late fee charge.I rang legal advice (NCMA) and they said you can end the contract,so thats what i did.maybe if you dont want to do that,maybe you can ask her if paying monthy will be easier as she has only have to deal with one payment every 4 weeks? x
    I also written up a news letter for all parents that helped.I do one once a month and put little notices
    hope it helps you xx

8. Likes tarak liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It depends on what your terms and conditions say.

I always recommend checking with insurance too.

I would write a letter - and in it remind parents about the impact on the child's wellbeing - it might just make them stop and think what they are doing

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Not easy I think some parents think we childmind for fun and extras money not to pay the bills. Try laying it on the line explaining you can't afford to feed her child take it to toddlers etc. as she has not paid you, make sure she knows you need your money to pay your bills.

As for giving notice or refusing care, check with your insurance company.

11. Likes Mice and Toad liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Firstly do any of you use NCMA Contracts? If you do this point is covered on page 4. You fill in how many days/weeks you allow before care will stop.

I allow one working week before I stop care.

I have a £5 per day late fee which is added.

I take a four weeks fee Deposit which is taken when a contract is signed and I make it clear that the deposit is kept until the contract ends when if all fees are paid up to date it is used to cover the four weeks notice period. This then also effectively provides a 4 week buffer for any unpaid fees.

I state in my Fees Policy that if a parent is consistently late paying fees I reserve the right to stop accepting Childcare Vouchers and payment into my Bank and all fees will be paid in cash in future.

13. Likes sarah707, tarak, Lucy000 liked this post
    17/8/12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou all. I do always get the money eventually but at this rate im gona b issuing nxt months fees b4 shes payed last months! Hav sat down tonight to tighten up my fees policy and printed a newsletter for all parents outlining the changes. Think ive been a bit of a wimp so far with just believing and accepting the excuses, gota toughen up!(telling myself off!)

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blue bear View Post
    Not easy I think some parents think we childmind for fun and extras money not to pay the bills. Try laying it on the line explaining you can't afford to feed her child take it to toddlers etc. as she has not paid you, make sure she knows you need your money to pay your bills.

As for giving notice or refusing care, check with your insurance company.
    I think this is part of the problem. Historically women did childminding for extra money while the men did a 'proper' job. I make it very clear that this is my only source of income for me and my three teenagers. I dont know if thats the reason but I have never had a problem with being paid. I also get paid weekly so I think that reinforces the fact that I need that money every week.

sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

It's always best to check with your insurance company first.

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes - no matter how many reminders, no matter what your policies or contract say, no matter about personal respect some parents will just pay late.

IT'S ANNOYING, INSULTING AND DOWN RIGHT UNACCEPTABLE, but what can you do?
    stop care and you lose the money all together.
    provide care and there is a chance you will get paid.
    Hobsons choice, I know.
    I shrugg my shoulders, we've all had them, what can you do? life is too short. wait till you get someone to replace them and then pull the rug from under their feet, that will teach them, but make sure you have your money first or you'll never see a penny.

I feel naughty today

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

My terms and conditions state that fees have to be paid in advance if they are a week late I charge £50 per week or part of that they are late if after two weeks they are late childcare is suspended at full charge until fees are up to date! On top of this I still put the charges on! I made the mistake of letting a parent get away with late fees and 6 months later they still owe £150 which I've come to terms that I will never see my other parents just the threat works

19. Likes Mice and Toad liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I had this last week as some of you may remember. My mindees mum text me on the Thursday saying she wasn't gonna get paid on the Friday so cud she pay me double the following week? This has happened a few times before so I thought this is stupid and no I'm afraid not and long story short that was his last day. Shame cos I'd had him since June but how long can u go on with it?