Please help! First client's third payment now 10 days late!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Please help! First client's third payment now 10 days late!

I need urgent advice.
    This is my first mindee. The third invoice is now 10 days late. I issued a reminder 4 days after it was late, and also another at 6 days reminding the parent that i charge a late payment fee after 7 days with an accompanying text to tell parent to check their email. The parent eventually replied on Sunday evening saying sorry, they'd been away and that they would be dropping the money round that day after 6pm. This never happened.

I had to cancel one afternoon last week at very short notice as i had to take my DS to a minor injury unit. Parent was fine with this and child was sent to after school club instead. I made it clear that i would pick child up if it was absolutely necessary, but didn't know how long we would be at the hospital, they decided after school club would be better. That was the day that the invoice was due. 4 days after, with the reminder, i even offered to take the missed afternoon off the outstanding invoice (also making it clear that it was a one-time offer and that it would usually be taken off the next invoice as it had already been issued at the time of the missed afternoon). But when the parent emailed me to say they were paying on the Sunday, they said they would be paying the full amount.

I've just emailed again, stating that the payment is now 10 days late and that the parent has also run up a charge of £15 and i would be adding £5 each day until the full amount is paid as i said i would in the previous email, and as it states in my fees policy. I also said that i reserve the right to cease minding their child if i'm not payed for my services, but i really don't want to have to do this as it's short term contract, which is due to finish just before i go on maternity leave and it'd be a real pain to try and find another mindee just for a few months.

UGH!

I really didn't expect to be doing this with my first client! The parent and child both seemed happy with the service i was providing. What can i do!? I've tried to be reasonable yet firm but really my 'threats' are a bit empty if the parent has no intention of paying.

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, deep breath, especially as you are pregnant you definitely don't need the stress.

Stop doing things via e-mail and text, when is the child next due to come as in my own experience they find it much tougher to lie when they are face to face with you than via text/e-mail so it might be worth waiting for this opportunity. If not I would try and ring them again I think it is harder when you are on the phone to wriggle out of things, but think about what you want to say beforehand and maybe even practice it, my other top tip would be do it standing up as you feel more in control and your voice will be stronger. State the facts, but start softly softly saying you are slightly confused as they said they were going to pay you and have yet to do it, if you still get no joy then tell them you want the cleared funds by xx date or you will not be able to have their little one when they are next due.

Hope that helps.

Sam x

Good luck

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Tell them when they next turn up with the child to go to nearest cash machine, withdraw the money they owe and then they can bring child back and you will look after them as per the contract. Sure they won't have time to rethink their childcare with no notice. In future make her pay in advance on a Monday - no money, no childcare!

I had a parent forget cheque book yesterday, I said don't worry just pay double next week when I have child again - this morning when I got up there was envelope on door mat with the cheque in.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stapleton83 View Post
    Ok, deep breath, especially as you are pregnant you definitely don't need the stress.

Stop doing things via e-mail and text, when is the child next due to come as in my own experience they find it much tougher to lie when they are face to face with you than via text/e-mail so it might be worth waiting for this opportunity. If not I would try and ring them again I think it is harder when you are on the phone to wriggle out of things, but think about what you want to say beforehand and maybe even practice it, my other top tip would be do it standing up as you feel more in control and your voice will be stronger. State the facts, but start softly softly saying you are slightly confused as they said they were going to pay you and have yet to do it, if you still get no joy then tell them you want the cleared funds by xx date or you will not be able to have their little one when they are next due.

Hope that helps.

Sam x

Good luck
    The problem with this is that the next time i see their child, the next payment is due. They pay every two weeks and i don't have the child during half term, so the next time i'll see them is monday. I'm also very reluctant to call (and have been advised not to by other childminders) as there is no record of what is said. I think it might have to come down to that though, as i really don't want to leave it until Monday to sort it out- the parent is very much a drop-and-run type of person and it's difficult to pin them down.
    Breathing is very good advice though- it really is making me so stressed out!