Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    jul 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default what a cheek !!!

i have a parent who started with me in november,she had nursery fees to settle ,LO had been very unhappy there and was off ill alot so as mam wasnt getting paid while off and fees mounting up .I charge half while off and keep my hourly rate low ..so i am full and earning plenty.
    Anyway to help mam out when she started i agreed to bill in arrears at end of the month ,with payment date of 15th of month following(so she could pay nursery final bill due at the end of the month and her DH pay day is on 15th)so in effect 6 weeks in arrears.
    They have paid in full on 15th of each month.so im ok with the arrangement
    Mam text me today to ask if it would be possible to bill her at the end of the month to pay at the end of the next month !!!!! so pay for february at the end of MARCH
    I very politly pointed out that as a rule i get paid at the end of the month and only let her pay 2 weeks late by special arrangement due to her needing to pay nursery and i couldnt possible accept payment 2 months in arrears..imagine if she decided to leave at the end of march..she would owe for all of feb and march...WHAT A CHEEK ..i think i was being generous enough but they always want a bit more
    Funnily enough her and DH are going on a big shop to Newcastle on tuesday leaving LO with me,looks like she was planning on spending the money due to me today and pay it at end of month instead ...sorry to spoil your plans mrs ..but NO

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

You don't really need the money do you, you only do this job for the love of it to keep you busy don't you well done you sticking to payment date, bet you have learned not to be flexible again.

3. Likes Trouble liked this post
    JUL 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Unbelievable.....I mean how could you......you may have spoilt a good day out.lol. looks like it window shopping for mum then

5. Likes Trouble liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh my... I cannot believe you want paying on time!

I strongly suggest cash - in advance - is the way to go!

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You are being over-generous already, she was trying to push it just a little too far. And to casually say she's going on a shopping spree as well. I think it's that, that I can't believe more than anything!

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

How unreasonable are you ruining the shopping spree like that
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Haha hope they were going to buy you a nice gift lol

July 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Just shows the nicer you are the more they take the micky!

11. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Wat a cheek indeed. I've got one like that, if its not the ' partner' spending her money it's a tax credits mistake. She settled up with me eventually but I did refuse entry of her lo for a month just to get her straightened up. So missed out on a months money, but then she turns up with another brand new buggy which annoyed me cos she owed me £250!!!! All settled now but I feel ur pain xxx

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

time to put a stop to it hon. Before you know it she'll be paying you next year
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

July 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default omg the cheek

Cant believe how rude some clients are! theirs me thinking being self employed was going to be lovely and im going through the childminding forum in depth tonight before my inspection to c how crazy parents really are and mean lol! think im gona have to toughen up!

My new parent with 3 children is a trainess acountant n know the system exactly as she wants it! she did 3 contracts at 60hours then after 2 weeks said i cant afford this its too much even though we went through all my fees etc! now i only have them for 30 hours thats all three i have rang tax credits as this is freud! She said she wants all costs covered by tax credits or she may aswell quit job n have more kids cant u believe people do this and even say this oof!! I MEAN FOR REAL LOL!

Now i am having them just 30hrs between 3 she says she will only pay the hours they r here and not what is in contract so basically my contract means nothing ! also if i take them on regular outings i cannot charge her any petrol as she cannot pay me and if i buy ice creams for their three kids i am to pay for them as its my choice! seriously ***! i put i charge 50p a mile and will let parents know in advance where possible as i cannot be stuck home all the time as i want to take children out of the house! also i said i charge extra for food etc on outings as i wont let children starve! all paperwork has been signed but they refuse to pay extra so now i am basically stuck home for 6weeks until they r out of my care and i am counting down REDICULOUS some parents! i hope this is just a bad start and a lovely family come along who read my paperwork propperly and pay me for a good job of caring for their children! some parents r so shitty n abusive yuk! poor kids!

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Some parents are '******' and abusive and it really does get to you. The stories I could tell!!!!
    Sometimes I get the feeling that they think because you are at home its not like a real job.
    You know a job with proper holiday pay, sick pay, regular wages, tea breaks, lunch breaks, equipment provided etc....etc.....

But

There are others that are totally professional and respectful.

Nevertheless the kids are what makes it all worthwhile, I have never had a better job, I love it.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

That's just wat I was gonna put. They think cos we work from home that its not a proper job. I swear that's wat my husband thinks. But, tbf even tho I have that dodgy family that don't pay always I'm really lucky wiv my 'families' who incidentally has just text to say he's not coming in, as he's ill. That poor kid is always ill

Jan 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sony123 View Post
    Cant believe how rude some clients are! theirs me thinking being self employed was going to be lovely and im going through the childminding forum in depth tonight before my inspection to c how crazy parents really are and mean lol! think im gona have to toughen up!

My new parent with 3 children is a trainess acountant n know the system exactly as she wants it! she did 3 contracts at 60hours then after 2 weeks said i cant afford this its too much even though we went through all my fees etc! now i only have them for 30 hours thats all three i have rang tax credits as this is freud! She said she wants all costs covered by tax credits or she may aswell quit job n have more kids cant u believe people do this and even say this oof!! I MEAN FOR REAL LOL!

Now i am having them just 30hrs between 3 she says she will only pay the hours they r here and not what is in contract so basically my contract means nothing ! also if i take them on regular outings i cannot charge her any petrol as she cannot pay me and if i buy ice creams for their three kids i am to pay for them as its my choice! seriously ***! i put i charge 50p a mile and will let parents know in advance where possible as i cannot be stuck home all the time as i want to take children out of the house! also i said i charge extra for food etc on outings as i wont let children starve! all paperwork has been signed but they refuse to pay extra so now i am basically stuck home for 6weeks until they r out of my care and i am counting down REDICULOUS some parents! i hope this is just a bad start and a lovely family come along who read my paperwork propperly and pay me for a good job of caring for their children! some parents r so shitty n abusive yuk! poor kids!
    Hunny, she HAS to abide by your contract, it is a legally binding document so don't let her tell you what she is going to pay for, make her pay for contracted hours or give notice and look for someone else!
    I would be careful of charging for mileage though as I think the crosses over into the realms of a taxi service and opens up another can of worms.
    I don't charge extra for anything, the costs are all in my normal fees and tbh if I take them out then yes, I do pay for ice creams etc as it is my choice. The problem with asking parents to pay for extras is that they can refuse and then you are either left paying for it anyway or not being able to go somewhere because one set of parents won't pay.
    I would suggest you review your fees policy, (maybe to take effect from April, I know a lot of cm's who re-do their fees every April and it's not that far away) give the parent the proper amount of notice and then do a contract review to state clearly what you expect her to pay, and what the penalties are for not paying it, late fees, withholding care etc. From the sound of it she wouldn't be too great a loss if she walks

july 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with chocolatechip, they have signed your contract and cannot just arbitrarily change it to suit themselves.
    A difficult situation though, I fully understand your frustration. You could take legal advice, if you wanted to go down that road, or give whatever notice is stayed in the contract and then rewrite the new one.
    Actually, as they km have broken the contract conditions you could say no further childcare until they pay all arrears. However, if they are your sole income that is a bit like shooting yourself in the foot if they then just leave.
    I also don't charge for extras, as chocolatechip said, but I do keep all receipts and clain off my tax.
    I hope this gets sorted for you soon, not all parents are like this, though I am hearing more and more situations like this as everyone is feeling the pinch. I do think this mum just sounds like a very pushy person though and is just out for what she can get.
    If she can't afford childcare, maybe you could suggest she takes up childminding :-D :-D

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sony123 View Post

Ok bluntly here you are allowing these parents here to pay you what they want. No one gets all their costs covered by tax credit. Im sorry I would have told them that their new requirements were not acceptable and given notice.

Agree with previous pp that charging for petrol is putting you in the same league as a taxi and you would need different insurance. Im not suprised the parents dont want to buy for a 10 mile jiurney there and back its an extra £10. That would soon add up.

I include all costs on my fees no arguing then. If I was doing a really big day out I might ask for entrance fees but this would be a one off.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChocolateChip View Post
    Hunny, she HAS to abide by your contract, it is a legally binding document so don't let her tell you what she is going to pay for, make her pay for contracted hours or give notice and look for someone else!
    I would be careful of charging for mileage though as I think the crosses over into the realms of a taxi service and opens up another can of worms.
    I don't charge extra for anything, the costs are all in my normal fees and tbh if I take them out then yes, I do pay for ice creams etc as it is my choice. The problem with asking parents to pay for extras is that they can refuse and then you are either left paying for it anyway or not being able to go somewhere because one set of parents won't pay.
    I would suggest you review your fees policy, (maybe to take effect from April, I know a lot of cm's who re-do their fees every April and it's not that far away) give the parent the proper amount of notice and then do a contract review to state clearly what you expect her to pay, and what the penalties are for not paying it, late fees, withholding care etc. From the sound of it she wouldn't be too great a loss if she walks
    I agree.

Cm's only get used and abused when we let it happen.

Jun 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChocolateChip View Post

Totally agree, you are allowing her to do this. Invoice per the contract and enforce with courts is needed. You will probably find that as a trainee accountant she will be keen to avoid a county court judgement, I'm fairly sure it affects accountants professional registration or something.

She is basically stealing from you, and you are letting her.
    Apologies for the random full stops. Phone buttons too small, thumbs too big.

Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

What you did (saying no) was right.You have given enough consideration. Extending the pay longer is too much. Don't allow her to abuse you.