minimum number of hours you would take a child?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    may 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default minimum number of hours you would take a child?

Hi everyone,

I know this isn't fee related, but couldn't see where to post!

I was wondering if any of you state a minimum number of hours you would take a child for? I have had an enquiry for 3 mornings, possibly 4, but each only for 3 hours. She wants 10-1, 9-12, 9-12.30. For me this will impact on what I can do with the other children, it is unlikely that I will be able to take the other children out for the day etc. The only day we would be able to have days out is on a monday, but then children who dont attend on a monday will miss out. Not sure what to do, if I say to her that I only take children for a minimum of 5 hours (e.g 9-2, coincides with school hours) as this will allow me to continue to do the things i already do with the children and that I advertise to the parents as doing, picnics, zoo, soft play, beach etc etc.

and also i suppose in my mind i am thinking if she has only 9 hours but over 3 days then it will affect potentially being able to take on a child who needs full days.

It is so hard as a new childminder to balance the hours i want to provide and needing to earn money! lol. maybe the longer *****mind for the more confident I will get at saying no!

Advice and help much appreciated

xx

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If it's not right for you then say no! You could have a child for 9 hours in one day. You get a gut feeling about things and I think you know what you should do. You clearly think it will affect the other children.

Good luck!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would only do those hours if it suited me - if I needed a part timer and the hours worked with the other children at the time for example.

I do like my part-timers but not at the expense of the other children's routines

Apr 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, if it suited me and our normal routine I would accommodate the hours. But not if it was going to impact upon our usual activities.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a minimum of 7 hours a day, it used to be 6 hours but I increased it to 7 after a mum asked for 2 days a week then when she saw on newsletter I had a vacancy on another day, she decided she wanted the same total number of hours a week but over 3 days - therefore taking up a whole day's space for no extra money.

I am prepared to do it as an average amount of hours as have one lo who comes 8 hours one day, 9 hours another, then 5 hours on a Friday - all the others finish early on a Friday, so early start to weekend suits me fine!

No one can tell you what to do, but you don't want to start a contract that you regret in the future.

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I have schoolies twice a week who are here for 2.5 hrs a day. All my others are mostly full days. You have to do what ever feels right for you and the other children in your home. xx
    If all else fails......add glitter!

Mar 06
    Post Thanks / Like

It depends what works for you. As you don't have other part timers / Nursery runs then you are free to go out for longer trips & taking on a part timer would restrict this.

Mar12
    Post Thanks / Like

It's what ever works best for u I have a min of 6 hours care which works well for us we still get to go out and about without rushing back but as 2 children leave at 3 I can then have some after schoolies as well so all good here

apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Always remember, it's tough saying No in the first place (especially when just starting out)BUT its a lot tougher once a contract is in place saying No eg-waiting 4 weeks, parents getting upset, disrupting the other mindees, sometimes we feel like we let people down.
    Personally I wouldn't to them hours I know when the weather is good we as a setting are no where to be seen, I'd hate to feel like I've got to get back for 1 for just a couple of hours.
    Good luck xx
    wow 2012 already

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would not consider hours that stopped me going out with mindees in the morning, not fair on the other mindees. I also have a minimum no of hours i am willing to charge for a day.
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I took on 2 LO's when starting out...one does 4 hours twice a week and the other does 4 hours 3 days a week....I am very lucky that one of the mums is very flexible so they come on different days so only using 1 space between them iyswim?

Even with this I still have days when I wish I hadn't said yes...as you've said it limits where we can go as they get picked up/dropped off after lunch, parents are told they will have to come to where I am and have been ok with this so far but tbh the furthest we've been is still local.....we'll see in the summer when we go on day trips if they're willing to pay the extra hours for a full day or drive 40 miles to collect?!

may 12
    Post Thanks / Like

thankyou everyone for taking the time to reply. i spent alot of time thinking about it and I e-mailed the parent today to explain that the hours she required would limit outings I can do with the other children and therefore I would not be able to offer a space for her child.

I think this is for the best, I agree maryp0ppins, cancelling a contract down the line would be much more hard work and expense than saying no in the first instance.

thanks again everyone, your advice was really helpful. xx

july 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    very good
    Non childminder member
    ex childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

it got to the stage here with so many childminders/3 year olds at nurserys about that you couldnt be picky and choose not to do part timers as that was all that was about. it was either part time or no mindee.
    karen

July 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peanuts View Post
    it got to the stage here with so many childminders/3 year olds at nurserys about that you couldnt be picky and choose not to do part timers as that was all that was about. it was either part time or no mindee.
    I'm the opposite where I am in that there is a shortage of childminders so I have a min daily fee of £30 (normal rate £3.50 per hour).

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i charge for a min. 5 hour day. However, I might not take on a job that was 5 hours a day the whole week as you'd lost a whole lot of hours over the week
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got