Nov 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Non childminder member
    Childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Unpaid fees

Hi all,
    just wondering how long you would continue childminding for a family if they aren't paying?
    Its only the third week I've had 2 siblings after school only, the first 2 weeks mum paid on the 1st day and this week she rang to say she hasn't got any money because of tax credits, she said she would definitely pay me Thursday as its her payday but she didn't! Ive got the kids 2 days next week but just have the feeling she won't pay up

Thanks
    Lucy

Registered Childminder since
    Mar 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you're not confident that she's going to pay . In which case I would start as you mean to go on - payment now & always in advance or no childcare. That way if she doesn't pay you're only short by one week, if you carry on it could just keep building up.

3. Likes Tealady, Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Sounds like you're not confident that she's going to pay . In which case I would start as you mean to go on - payment now & always in advance or no childcare. That way if she doesn't pay you're only short by one week, if you carry on it could just keep building up.
    Agree with this, you don't want to appear a soft touch. If you don't show you mean business and nip this in the bud it will carry on. You can normally get a feeling about a parent and your feeling is she won't pay up

Jan 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy000 View Post
    Hi all,
    just wondering how long you would continue childminding for a family if they aren't paying?
    Its only the third week I've had 2 siblings after school only, the first 2 weeks mum paid on the 1st day and this week she rang to say she hasn't got any money because of tax credits, she said she would definitely pay me Thursday as its her payday but she didn't! Ive got the kids 2 days next week but just have the feeling she won't pay up

Thanks
    Lucy
    Lucy when I hear this "Unpaid Fees" I get a knot in my stomach. As the others have advised you nip it in the bud now. I didn't and took the sob story about tax credits delay and non payments. It built up and included a period of holiday pay also. (Parent can afford to fly out on holiday but can't find money to pay childcare fee?)

On return from holiday that week end no call from parent. Guess who turned up with her child for care? My contract says I can refuse to care for child until fees brought up to date. That's what I did . Showed her the door. Never saw nor heard from her again.

Now fightng legally through NCMA. We'll see how that goes. Same thing happened to a friend of mine.

As Mr Knight say's you'll get the feel of who she is and what she gives. Don't let the amount build up.

Jun 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    I agree with this too. She needs to see you as a priority debt, which she won't if you let it continue. You will be last in line for payment behind household bills, nights out and new shoes

Start as you mean to go on.
    Apologies for the random full stops. Phone buttons too small, thumbs too big.

7. Likes bunyip, Lucy000 liked this post
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Write out a letter detailing your position,

Dear x,
    I am writing with regards to the outstanding fees due for childcare for x and y. £x were due to be paid on date and I agreed to wait until x date. Unfortunetly as I did not receive the outstanding amount by the second date I will not be able to provide further care for x and y u til these outstanding fees are paid in full along with the fees due on x date, totalling £x.

Please be assured I enjoy caring for x and y and have not taken this decision lightly.

Looking forward to hearing from you

Your name.

Take in round and our it through her door tomorrow,do not let any more outstanding fees build or get into the awkward position where the children are standing on your doorstep.

Big hugs.

9. Likes Lucy000 liked this post
    Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with what everyone else has said but bear in mind you may lose the LO....from experience the one time I had to do this the mum turned nasty and I never saw LO again....on the other hand better to do it now before more debt builds up-I let it build to over £300 which I think made it even more of an issue.

Good luck and be strong-I know how hard this is!

11. Likes Lucy000 liked this post
    Nov 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Non childminder member
    Childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everybody for your advice, I'm supposed to be picking the children up from school tomorrow and Thursday she has said she will pay me Thursday for the 2 weeks and for the following week in advance.
    I have told her if she doesn't pay no more childcare and thank you blue bear for the example letter, its typed out ready

Once again thanks again I love this group

Lucy
    xx

june 83
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hope she pays you on Thursday as she says, I think we all have learnt by mistakes made and money being owed. I now have a contract with parents that says they will pay me on the 1st day of the week in advance and since then I have never had any problems with parents not paying, in fact most parents like to pay for a month in advance as they say once they have paid the fees they know how much money they have left to live on for the rest of the month. good luck anyway

may 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a parent who messes me around, it never builds up, its just always a week or two late, i invoiced her monday ready for febs fee, she hinted that she had alot to payout this week, MOT and car tax. i said I knew what she meant, my gas and electric bill has just come through, i had to pay my council tax, fuel for my car, car insurance etc.... So frustrating that they feel they can do this to us. I have been really tough with her now and said that fee is due on monday, as she is paying me for a service and i reminded her of my fees policy. i will remind her again 2moro when she drops her child off that fees are due monday.

Good luck for 2moro, i hope she pays up! sometimes i think they do it to us because we let them!

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by baby_blue View Post
    I have a parent who messes me around, it never builds up, its just always a week or two late, i invoiced her monday ready for febs fee, she hinted that she had alot to payout this week, MOT and car tax. i said I knew what she meant, my gas and electric bill has just come through, i had to pay my council tax, fuel for my car, car insurance etc.... So frustrating that they feel they can do this to us. I have been really tough with her now and said that fee is due on monday, as she is paying me for a service and i reminded her of my fees policy. i will remind her again 2moro when she drops her child off that fees are due monday.

Good luck for 2moro, i hope she pays up! sometimes i think they do it to us because we let them!
    Luckily I've never had a problem. I don't know why parents think that they can mess childminders around. They forget that we have bills too!

July 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baby_blue View Post

Good for you! As others have said you can't go into the supermarket and say I havn't any money can I pay next week....!

MAY 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Oooooo I feel your pain

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy000 View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks
    Lucy