Quote Originally Posted by LauraS View Post
Is it worth taking a deposit if it puts people off? I don't take one to be held until the end because it doesnt happen locally, and if people dont have the money to 'lose' it doesnt matter how much they like me, they wont use me. Lets face it, someone looking for a long term placement for three years or so will basically have to write off the deposit money as it's so long til they get it back. For a full time placement, thats a lot of cash.

I know some people have been burned by non-payers and therefore insist on the deposit, which I beleive is fine in a climate where you are able to do so and be full. If you have a space and dont have a waiting list for the space, though, it seems daft to scare away business. If it is your policy to refuse care without payment, with payment in advance and robust contracts, then the maximum possible loss for you should be four weeks payment (for the notice period). If you lose a customer because they cannot afford the deposit or because they chose to go to another establishment where they dont have to write off a huge chunk of money for a long period of time, you are potentially losing money week in, week out until that space is filled. Even if it only takes five weeks to fill the empty space, you are now actually worse off than if the first depositless parent had done a bunk. You have taken a definate five week loss of earnings to prevent a potential four week loss if you see what I mean.

Am I making any sense

Hello LauraS. I actually asked for 4 months deposit in error not 4 weeks. I defiantely ask for 4 weeks deposit because I too got burnt with a a mum for non-payment and is now going to court to get my money back.
I've not had any problems with any other parents paying their 4 weeks deposit which they will get back at the end of their contract. whether its a long contract or not. The 4 weeks notice comes into play and it would be great if I had a contract going for 4 years.

I must let you all know, mum never got back in touch BUT guess who I saw at sing-a-long the following week? You guessed right. I noticed this person looking at me and nodded to say hello. Didn't click straight away who it was then the penny dropped. LOL. .

I had another new mindee with me too so I felt great . I really wanted to say see, it was a genuine misake, I have a new mindee and they have paid their 4 weeks deposit.