Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    dec 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Default early arrival again what would u do

Ok yesterday at 7.15 txt off mum to bring child early and the older child as he has casts on for his cerebal.palsy and.didnt want to.risk school. She said can i bring them at 7.45. I said this is ok....i only charged the older childs bill at 30min extra...i said as i dont do by the 15mins....i forgot.to.mention younger child...well.mum.came today at 7.45 again...no warning....with both children...ok she stood yaking till 8 but....

I guess what im.asking is...for.the extra yesterday should i.mention it will be on next months invoice broke up.over the weeks (mum pays weekly) does that seem fair...

And also for today do.i charge extra as arriving at 7.45 (and stopping me preparing for sons school.lunch and everyones brekki) even tho she didnt go till 8...

I dont want to.seem a stuck up.wotsit but contract is 8-5.30....and i plan my time around this...

Answers on a postcard

Mar12
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had 1 mum the same and I only charge per hour she soon got the message when she turned up 15 mins early for 3 days and the following week had 3 extra hours on her fees. Nip it in the butt before it becomes an everyday thing as the time soon adds up. On a Thursday I don't start work till 9 as I take my son to nursery first last week mum texted at 20 past 8 saying b with u in 5 mins as I've got a busy morning I made sure I wasn't bk till 9. I think parents forget u have got a life outside of childminding I'm not a drop in centre.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leeanne910 View Post
    Ok yesterday at 7.15 txt off mum to bring child early and the older child as he has casts on for his cerebal.palsy and.didnt want to.risk school. She said can i bring them at 7.45. I said this is ok....i only charged the older childs bill at 30min extra...i said as i dont do by the 15mins....i forgot.to.mention younger child...well.mum.came today at 7.45 again...no warning....with both children...ok she stood yaking till 8 but....

I guess what im.asking is...for.the extra yesterday should i.mention it will be on next months invoice broke up.over the weeks (mum pays weekly) does that seem fair...

And also for today do.i charge extra as arriving at 7.45 (and stopping me preparing for sons school.lunch and everyones brekki) even tho she didnt go till 8...

I dont want to.seem a stuck up.wotsit but contract is 8-5.30....and i plan my time around this...

Answers on a postcard
    You need to remind her of her contracted hours. If she wants to drop off early then invite her to alter contracted hours. My parents often add time here and there but ask first if they can drop off early. Sometimes she gets held up at work but always texts asking if it's ok and says just bill her for the extra. They would never dream of just turning up early.
    You need to nip this in the bud now!

4. Likes mum24 liked this post
    oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Charge extra for both kids for both the days.
    Doen't matter what time she left your house what matters is what time she arrived.
    I would be telling her on collection today that if she wants to be early she has to ask you for every day. Not just assume that because you said it was ok for one day that its ok every day.

If it interupts you getting your pack lunches etc made i would say that she has to stick to 8am unless she has a specific reason for needing to be early which she has to ask permission for.

IMO 8am is plenty early enough to arrive. She didnt leave til 8am so no real need to be early.

If it helps one of my parents arrived 7 mins early this morning and unfortunatley had to stand on the doorstep for about 4 mins cos i was getting dressed.

6. Likes Kittycat liked this post
    june 83
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes you do need to tell her about charging for yesterday and today being early. I have with one parent who kept doing this asked if she wanted to change the contract hours as she was coming early and 15 mins a day is 1hour 15mins a week. I have also sometimes been still getting ready and have left the parent waiting on the doorstep for 5 mins and have gone to the door all flustered and said you are early today to let them know I have noticed. Also had some parents who turned up early and when I told them they were early they said I will pick them up 15 mins early tonight thinking they would not be charged extra for the 15 mins in the morn.

dec 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys.

Do u think im fair charging the 30 min as i said to her yesterday?

Will.it seem fair if i say at collection "with xx(full time child) for the extra time yesterday and today i just put it on next months invoice"

She pays on the day for the older child as its only as she.didnt want him.in school cuz of his safety as legs in cast so i am invoicing daily so she has records for them....

Just dont want to.appear to be pulling a fast one...i might ask if she needs contract changed..as i am.happy to work.from 7.30....i just would like to have it.in stone

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks guys.

Do u think im fair charging the 30 min as i said to her yesterday?

Will.it seem fair if i say at collection "with xx(full time child) for the extra time yesterday and today i just put it on next months invoice"

She pays on the day for the older child as its only as she.didnt want him.in school cuz of his safety as legs in cast so i am invoicing daily so she has records for them....

Just dont want to.appear to be pulling a fast one...i might ask if she needs contract changed..as i am.happy to work.from 7.30....i just would like to have it.in stone
    Exactly, ask her if she wants to amend the contracted times, if not then say "see you at EIGHT tomorrow"!
    I would maybe not charge but have a chat and say 8am from now on and will charge if you come earlier

dec 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

They came early before and i said come.in but wait 10min till it is 8 while i finish setting up...she then came.on time.... But today she kept sayin bye kids bye kids i gotta go...but then carried on yacking....its weird as its only as i mentioned monday my opening hours r now gonna be 7-6...so any extra be charged normal rate not my higher rate....then she comes early next day....maybe i shudnt have.mentioned it... But it only felt fair incase i have a new client who.starts early.at least she is aware of.my hours even tho her contract is 8-5.30...dunno..my heads hurting....

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

They came early before and i said come.in but wait 10min till it is 8 while i finish setting up...she then came.on time.... But today she kept sayin bye kids bye kids i gotta go...but then carried on yacking....its weird as its only as i mentioned monday my opening hours r now gonna be 7-6...so any extra be charged normal rate not my higher rate....then she comes early next day....maybe i shudnt have.mentioned it... But it only felt fair incase i have a new client who.starts early.at least she is aware of.my hours even tho her contract is 8-5.30...dunno..my heads hurting....
    I don't think it has to be anything more complicated than reminding her of the drop off time and if she needs different hours then ask her to ask you the day before if she needs you earlier and charge her. A permanent change in drop off time should be amended in the contract so there's no arguments.

dec 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks think today i will let go. And for yesterday as i charged for eldest i am.going to.donthe same.for.little one on invoice an let mum.know.

I am.goin to ask about tomorrow too and see what happens each day and if its every day i will.ask about contract review

13. Likes Rick liked this post
    Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i think you should say, it's not convenient for them to arrive at this time. I have a mum who wanted to change contract from 0800 to 8.30. I said I leave at 8.20 so can't do. We agreed 0815. I am out the door and can just load baby into buggy and big sister can just grab onto buggy and we go.

However, they are arriving at 0810 every day. What do I do. Can't let them in the lounge with shoes on, can't make them sit on stairs, so I have to take off their shoes, baby undoes her coat and undresses and then no sooner they've done that I have to get them to put it all back on again! grrr I know it's just so she doesn't make me late for school run but just sit them in the car for a few minutes to not make my job harder - please!
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would have buggy up and ready in hall then put baby in there as soon as she arrives and leave older one with shoes and coat on waiting in the hall while I get everyone else ready. Lock front door if risky!

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

As everyone else has said nip it straight away I have a mum that still turns up between 20-30 mins early regularly apart from now she sits in the car outside the house, I've explained I'm doing breakfasts etc and she was unable to come in until her contracted time at 8.30!

July 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_Knight View Post
    You need to remind her of her contracted hours. If she wants to drop off early then invite her to alter contracted hours. My parents often add time here and there but ask first if they can drop off early. Sometimes she gets held up at work but always texts asking if it's ok and says just bill her for the extra. They would never dream of just turning up early.
    You need to nip this in the bud now!
    I have a boy who is supposed to be dropped off at 7.30am and recently has been dropped off at 7.15am. At first this wasn't a problem as he was collected early. Now though he is either collected on time or slightly late and then Dad hangs around for an extra 10 mins. I not sure what to do as I don't want to seem picky but at that time in the morning I am still seeing to my own children and you can do a lot in 15mins !

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mumphie View Post
    I have a boy who is supposed to be dropped off at 7.30am and recently has been dropped off at 7.15am. At first this wasn't a problem as he was collected early. Now though he is either collected on time or slightly late and then Dad hangs around for an extra 10 mins. I not sure what to do as I don't want to seem picky but at that time in the morning I am still seeing to my own children and you can do a lot in 15mins !
    It's not being picky! You have both agreed times and signed a contract. You're running a business after all! You just have to remind them that 7:30 is when they should arrive and it's not convenient before that. People think we don't have a life outside childminding!