Snow days + extra hours = extra charges???
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Snow days + extra hours = extra charges???

Hi all,

I've had a look around and couldn't find my specific query...

I usually charge all parents for contracted hours regardless whether they attend (unless I am closed).

School closed for snow last week, schools didn't announce until after children had arrived with me. parents have asked me to hang onto them until they can collect. So everyone has done different hours, although the babies have still done their usual hours so I'm still working all day from 0800 to 1800.

So, I charge an hourly rate for the hours they are here, but would you also charge for the contracted hours they are not using that day??

e.g. Child A is usually 8am - 9am, then 3pm-6pm including dinner. But on snow day they attend 8am - 12noon. Do you just charge hourly rate for 8am - 12noon? What about charging for the after school session?

Child B usually attends 3pm - 6pm including dinner. On snow day he attends 10am to 5pm. Would you just charge actual hours attended? Or charge normal rate, plus top up for extra hours (so 10am to 3pm)???

I'm trying to be consistent, but these two examples highlight what a massive difference it can make to the two parents bills.

My oh thinks i should charge the usual contracted rate, plus top up the extra hours...

Just wondered what others do...

sep-09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

charge for what they used and what they were booked in, the space was theirs it was their choice if they used it. It ment you couldnt put anyone else in that space.

Post Thanks / Like

You were open your normal day so I agree with your OH I would charge the normal contracted hours plus any extra hours you worked so for child A I would charge 9am to 12 noon extra and for child B 10am to 3pm extra.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

4. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    June 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    6 and 5's
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the other forum members, charge for the extra hours on top of their normal hours.
    claire

Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it depends. In this situation id charge normal amount of contracted hours eg 3 hours and if the hours they were with u exceeded 3 hours I would then charge the additional time. X

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't charge any extra for child A who normally attends for 4 hours and was with you for 4 hours (albeit a different 4 hours)
    child B normally with you for 3 hours was with you for 7 hours so would charge for the extra 4 hours

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would charge child A the normal 4 hours as he used his 4 hours just at a different time,

Child B I would charge for the normal hours + the extra 5 hours.

I have the same tomorrow, 2 children for extra hours as school is closed so I will just charge for the extra hours on top of normal fee
    Cath

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I assuming both parents picked up early because of the weather - so I would just charge for the hours used not they were contracted for.
    You are not losing out finanically and the parents didnt take the mick
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

10. Likes christine e liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would charge either the normal hours or the actual hours used (whichever is higher) but definitely not both added together.

AFAICS, you won't lose out that way and your working day isn't any longer cos that's determined by the babies and not by the schoolies.

Charging both together seems unfair and will probably get the parents' backs up. In fact it's asking for trouble, cos next time they'll feel entitled to leave them with you all day since they know that's what they'll be charged for.

If you're fair and reasonable your clients will feel they got an excellent service in difficult circumstances. If you look like you're trying to cash in on an unavoidable emergency, they may think they're being exploited.