need help with charges.....
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default need help with charges.....

Right, I have a lady coming who wanst 3 days a week from 2nd week in Jan coming on Monday, here's where it gets complicated.......

Lo is 3, and goes to pre-school ( I know it well dd used to do 3 days, still goes 1 morning ) so mum needs wrap around, 1 hour in the morning and pick up at 12 till she collects 5.30-6.

All sound straight forward so far.

BUT - I have got myself into a possible pickle as I have been VERY accomodating to another one of my familes! I dont charge when their lo isn't here - yes, I know it's not what's done, but I knew this family from before I started minding, they are my most 'normal'. iyswim, family that I mind for.

Now the new lo will be at pre-school 3 hrs a day, but he is 3 so it'll be funded.

So, do I charge them or not for those 3 hours?? Work round here is scare atm, so I think I need to make myself more appealing by not charging when he isn't here. It will be full days in holidays.

wwyd????
    Marnie x

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

It Depends what is normal in your area, here it's normal to charge for the whole day, so a competitive deal would be to charge half fee whilst at pre school.

If you can afford and am happy to charge nil during pre school hours, just make sure you word it that way in the contract. Not nil fee if not attending otherwise they can take time off here and there and not pay you.

Post Thanks / Like

I do charge - especially if they are getting nursery funded - they choose to send them on the days they are with me!!! However, I did in the past only charge half fee - but tbh it hardly makes a difference - remember if you have to take and fetch (don't know if you have to drive to get there to need to take that into account) plus if they need you to keep the space open for the holidays you can't fill the space!!

Mar 06
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it's a problem to charge for this lo when you don't for the other lo when he's not there as each contract is negotiated seperatly. The main thing therefore is to work out what the 'normal' charging is for your area & where you can afford / are happy to compromise in your fees.

If you choose not to charge or charge a reduced rate while LO is at pre-school then I would recommend charging at least 15mins after official drop-off time as it always seems to take this long to get LO through the door (we have different groups going in first each day) remove coat, change shoes...

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

How much do you need/want he contract? If you start as you mean to go on - charging while lo at nursery mornings and possibly losing the contract or go easy and not charge? What can you live with? You might feel resentful if you don't charge! x

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Discuss it with the family and see what you both find agreeable and acceptable.

You don't have to have the same contract arrangements and fees with every client. On the whole, CMs each provide a bespoke service - it's generally nurseries that offer an 'off-the-peg' service with fixed fees/sessions and so on. Neither do we have to sell ourselves cheap: we are caring for children, not selling palette-loads of tinned beans.

Whilst what is 'normal' for your area is a consideration, I don't agree that it has to be the dominant factor. That only applies if the family is just looking for the cheapest they can get away with, rather than the best care they can afford. It strikes me that's the kind of client who is most likely to give a CM the biggest headaches too. I know (and tell parents) there are some CMs in my area who are cheaper than I and offer more attractive T&C's, but frankly I'm not prepared to drag myself down to their level of service and standards of care.

Hope you can sort out something that works for you and the family. But remember it's your business and you're not obliged to follow the crowd.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with a lot of the comments above. I would say to the parents that "normally" you would charge full rate while at pre-school but would be happy to negotiate on this. Work out what works best for you before you see them so that you are clear what you are happy to accept. I agree that if you don't get it right now, it could lead to resentment later on.

One argument for full fees is that you have to keep the place open for holidays and depending on how far away the parents are working, could be on call to collect the child in an emergency. They would expect you to have the child if the pre-school was closed due to eg. no heating.

Have a good think about it. You don't want to loose the work but don't sell yourself short.

Good luck!

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

good advice already. I would charge 1/2 fees whilst child is at pre-school I think.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got