What would you charge?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What would you charge?

Hi, I've not posted in a while as have been really busy.

I've had an enquiry to look after a 17 month old for 2 days a week to begin with. They have said it will most likely be different days each week as they work awful shifts. I have absolutely no idea how I would even begin to charge for this.

Thanks

july 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm a difficult one, if I was not busy and needed the business, I would just charge the two days, which ever days they were, but have a proviso in the contract that if someone came along wanting hours that I couldn't give because of their changing shift pattern, that then they have the option to pay extra to keep their place, or you give the place to the other clients. I am not sure I wrote that too well, but hope it is understandable.
    You could also of course, have them pay for the hours they use, but say half fees to keep other days open, if they can afford that and will go with it, maybe it is wortha try. It depends on how much you need the business. I would personally charge a little less to have some business than lose out altogether.

3. Likes Susana0600 liked this post
    Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i would not be able to afford to do this without charging for a min. of 4 days.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Feb 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are not busy I would probably do it on an adhoc basis, so that if you get some more permanent contracts you won't be restricted on what days you have available.

Apr2011
    Post Thanks / Like

I had this situation before, so I really was looking for mindes, so I had the kid for a couple of months. Completely agree with mum24

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have a parent that works shifts and needs 3 days a week, but the days vary week to week, so charge full for 3 days and half fees for 2 days, never had a problem

oct 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddleywinks View Post
    I have a parent that works shifts and needs 3 days a week, but the days vary week to week, so charge full for 3 days and half fees for 2 days, never had a problem
    This is what I would do as you are effectively holding the whole week open for them so they should be prepared to pay a retainer or half fee for the days they don't use. It's a tough one to cover and I expect quite a few childminders would be unwilling to cover shifts so they may be glad you are willing to do it.

Apr 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Just want to say thanks for all your comments. I have told them I will charge for a minimum of 3 days adding any extra on. They have come back and said ok but we'll see what happens when they come for their visit on 7th Jan - they may try to negotiate!!!

Thanks again.

x

Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to jump on the wagon but Looking for some advice really.....

I have a shift worker currently on my books for 16 hours for 2 weeks and 12 hours for 2 weeks (2+2 week shift pattern). I currently charge on this basis. I am registered for 2 children under the age of 5 and both these spaces are filled. One with this child and one with another child.

I have been informed by the parents that their shifts are changing and they now want to reduce the hours down to 10 hours a week (2 hours over 4 days). I am unsure as to what to do. As I am only registered for 2 children (was newly registered when I took this child on), this child is taking up a full space for an under 5 for just 2 hours a day.

Parents have said they dont mind increasing the hours to match the amount per month i do at the moment but its just when the hours are. Would u offer sessional rates. No idea what to do.

What would you do in my position?