Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Snack Charges

On top of parents paying fees,
    do you add on a snack fee too??
    I was thinking of charging 50p per snack
    do you think i am being reasonable asking parents to pay this?

Registered Childminder since
    oct 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My fees include all meals and snacks except for a cooked tea at the end of the day which I would only do in exceptional circumstances. It's easier for me this way or I would have to start counting up who had snack, who had breakfast etc.

july 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge for lunch and tea, but not for drinks and snacks during the day.
    I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure that we shouldn't charge for these? Not sure why I feel so certain, I must have read it somewhere.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge for lunch and tea but state on my contract that my fees include all drinks and snacks - several days a week we are at toddlers anyway at snack time (I don't charge for toddlers either - my choice to go). I just put the snacks through my expenses.

Feb 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't charge for snack and drinks either and also am often at playgroup which provide snack anyway but I do charge for lunch or dinner. I was hoping charging would put them off as I hate cooking but it didn't work!!!

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

There are some nurseries around here that charge for snacks but I have not heard of any childminders doing it, I think the nurseries do it as a way of boosting up the government funding as it is not always as much as their normal hourly rate and means the nurseries can't afford to provide the snacks free.

I think it depends by what you mean by snacks, if you mean after school you give them, toast, fruit, cakes, yogurt etc,this amount of food is more like a light tea and I think you would be justified in charging but if you are just giving a piece of fruit or a couple of slices of toast then no I wouldn't.

Jun 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't, I include it all in the hourly rate. What would you do if a parent didn't want to pay? What if they decided to provide their own instead, and the LO turned up with a three pack of Kinder Bueno, a bag of Haribo and a packet of Prawn Cocktail Walkers (yes, really ). How easy would it be with children all eating different things? What if the child contracts food poisoning? I know these are 'what if's' but there's so much else to think about that frankly, life is too short. I also think that 'hidden charges' sometimes seem a bit crafty.

At least having included meals and snacks I know where everything has come from, that it has been prepared and stored correctly, that the children are all eating similar foods and are eating healthily.
    Apologies for the random full stops. Phone buttons too small, thumbs too big.

8. Likes k1rstie liked this post
    Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=LauraS;1185925]I also think that 'hidden charges' sometimes seem a bit crafty.

QUOTE]

My fee is at the higher end of some of the local childminders -
    but I do not charge for meals, snacks, milage, outings, entertainment fee!, or paperwork time. etc.

I like my service to be transparent, and parents can see what they are going to be charged, with no extra's added.

I am embarrased to add, I do charge in arrears. I have never been paid for the work I have not done! BUT touch wood I have never had a problem with payments

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

I include breakfast snacks and high tea in my fee

Tbh I would rather ask parents to provide food than charge (hence why mine bring packed lunch) most nurseries I know(preschool) kids take their snack

Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blue bear View Post
    There are some nurseries around here that charge for snacks but I have not heard of any childminders doing it, I think the nurseries do it as a way of boosting up the government funding as it is not always as much as their normal hourly rate and means the nurseries can't afford to provide the snacks free.

I think it depends by what you mean by snacks, if you mean after school you give them, toast, fruit, cakes, yogurt etc,this amount of food is more like a light tea and I think you would be justified in charging but if you are just giving a piece of fruit or a couple of slices of toast then no I wouldn't.

I normally give for snack, Pancakes, toast & cheese, bagels, popcorn etc
    always with fruit such as grapes, bananas, apples
    a drink of Juice, Milk or water
    I charge £4 ph

Apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I do not add any charges for anything, fees payable in advance and that's it......I hate the accounts side as it is, couldn't make life even harder for myself!!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't provide meals, mindees bring a packed lunch and if they are here for tea (only 1 family) parents send something for me to cook/warm.

All breakfasts, snacks, drinks are included in my hourly fee!!

dec 12
    Post Thanks / Like

When I start..... Lunch and morning/afternoon snack included will charge £1 for a fresh cooked dinner I charge £4 an hour.

Mar 06
    Post Thanks / Like

I do not charge extra for snacks & drinks, all included in my hourly rate. Less complicated that way.

16. Likes kelz_wilko liked this post