term time
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: term time

Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Default term time

i have a parent who has contacted me looking for term time only which is fine but ive heard some cm put their price up slightly to accomodate the loss of earnings during the time the child isnt minded. Can someone shed some light on how this is done

Feb 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I do this different rates. I have my full timers who I charge £3.50 an hour and they pay and come all year round unless I am closed. Then I do a term time only rate of 4.50 an hour and do not charge during school holidays. I can then use their spaces during the holidays and they only pay if they want to come and these times and dates are agreed separate from their contracted hours. I follow my county dates for when they are charged and I'm pretty flexible when it comes to inset days, as the parents are usually teachers and need me to have them these days anyway.

Jo x

3. Likes dawnn93 liked this post
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Another way of doing it is:

Work out normal fees x minding weeks
    Work out half fees x school holiday weeks

Add the 2 together, then divide by minding weeks to give weekly fee

So if you were charging £3.50 per hour, and parent wants 8 hrs a day x 3 days a week
    3.50 x 8 x 3= £84 x 39 term time weeks = £3276
    3.50 x 8 x 3= £84 / 2 = £42 x 13 school holiday weeks = £546

3276 + 546 = 3822 / 39 TT weeks = £98 per week

Backtracking, it makes your hourly rate slightly higher, £4.08 per hour, but the extra covers the 13 weeks you don't have the children

Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have both termtime and all year contracts and charge parents half fees for the school hols - I have never had a problem with parents doing this

Marian x

Jun 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi - just wondering what you charge for your own holiday ? Particularly if you take holiday during term time what do you all charge?

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i have t-time only. I don't charge for hols and don't charge a higher rate, though in hindsight I wish I had, but can't really change it for current parents

anyway, I work out 39 weeks of care and divide by 11 months so they pay sept-jul and aug is payment free. They pay the same each month.

If they wish they can spread over 12 months but they sign to say they are aware they are underpaying by £x/month and that if they give notice before the end of the academic year I will work out the underpayment and it will be added to their final fee.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got