Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Have a quandary so need advice

Ok so here it is I have taken a LO one on for a four month contract, which suits me fine as I am waiting for a set of twins to start next year, but here is my quandry.

Mum asked for 8 hours per day either 8 - 4 or 10 - 6 depending on the shifts she is doing, in reality she is turning up 15 - 20 mins late most nights I am in two minds as to whether I should ask her to rethink the hours she needs and add an extra 15 mins on the end of the day or just to let it ride. The reason I am unsure about asking for more is I don't particularly want to lose the contract as he is very easy going, it fits in with other children starting quite nicely and it is only for a short period. On the other hand I think if it was a permanent contract then I would be querying it as I would feel she was taking the mick.

What do you think?

Sam x

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Me personally would let it go, I'm in the mind that it's only short term so I would leave it,
    Cath

Dec 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally I invoice my parents every month for the time attended so if they are late they pay the extra,that 15 mins could add up to hrs so just tot them up and charge her for them.

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a hard one,
    If it was a permanent contract I would mention it and charge extra or if it was less than 4 hours a day I would charge extra but because it is only for 4 months and they are paying for 8 hours a day and it fits so well with the start of the twins I think I would let it go.

This mum may come back to you in the future for a permanent place.
    Jane xxx

5. Likes k1rstie liked this post
    Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i would not leave it as it would grate on me. I'd say do you need to add 1/2 hour onto the contract as it seems she needs it and it will be cheaper than you charging late pick up fees
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

7. Likes Poppet1, Mouse liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What would you do if one of your other parents also turned up 15 -20 minutes late on a regular basis - would you charge them? If the answer is yes then I would say you should charge this parent too but I would Talk to her first and see if she wants to amend her contracted hours.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

BucksCM Guest

OK..15 minutes a day doesn't sound like much, but if you add it all up (75mins a week-16 weeks=1,200mins or 20 hours...20 hours @ £4...or insert own hourly charge!... is £80)
    I think that a quick word to say that she's actually using more hours than she thought and you are going to charge for those hours. A contract is a contract at the end of the day wether it's short term or not.
    I know, I've been there and it does begin to grate that a parent is continously late.
    You wouldn't be asking the question if it didn't bother you.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post
    What would you do if one of your other parents also turned up 15 -20 minutes late on a regular basis - would you charge them? If the answer is yes then I would say you should charge this parent too but I would Talk to her first and see if she wants to amend her contracted hours.

Miffy xx
    I agree. Letting it go does seem the easy option, especially as it's only short term. But you are setting a precedent. What would you do if another parent started to collect late? They'd be quite entitled to demand the right to do so 'by custom and practice' or claim your were treating them unfavourably.

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I always add on any extras to the next bill.

Hypothetically, what if her circumstamces changed and you had space for this lo? She might expect that as you hadn't charged her before, that it would always be like that.

Also, if she uses another CM in the future, she might expect to be able to run late and not be charged. Better she learns now

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies everyone I bit the bullet on Wednesday and told her I felt she needed an extra 30 mins each day to give her a bit of leeway or I would need to charge late fees. She agreed no issues and I agreed to just charge her the extra 30 mins for the first 3 weeks we have had. Felt quite proud of myself.

The clincher was when one of you said would you do it for your other parents and the short answer is no!!!

Thanks ladies, all I need to do now is a short note to vary the terms of the contract!

Sam x

13. Likes Mouse liked this post