How to charge for this?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How to charge for this?

Possibly looking at shift work 3 - 4 days a week...

Early shift 5.15am () to 3.30pm.

Later shift 2pm to 11.30pm.

I was thinking of just charging the hours they used before 8am and after 6pm I charge more for unsociable hours. And only charge half hourly, so would charge from 5am.

Early shift 3 hours at £6 = £18 + 7.5 hours at £4 = £30 total per day £48.

Late shift 4 hours at £4 = £16 + 5.5 hours at £6 = £33 total per day £49

Also for such an early start, if they didn't live too far would you consider going to their house, then coming back to your own ready for other mindees, then on a late shift, taking child back to their house? Or would you expect them dropped off and collected?

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Emma, Im afraid Ive no idea how to charge this because I wouldnt do it myself.

If you did go ahead I wouldnt offer to collect, this just incurs more costs re petrol/wear and tear on car etc.

Sorry thats not much help hun xxx
    If all else fails......add glitter!

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silvermist View Post
    Hi Emma, Im afraid Ive no idea how to charge this because I wouldnt do it myself.

If you did go ahead I wouldnt offer to collect, this just incurs more costs re petrol/wear and tear on car etc.

Sorry thats not much help hun xxx
    I wouldn't usually collect either, however I have a sneaky feeling the person asking literally lives about 4 doors down from me. Just the info given about the family is exactly the same, same jobs, same place, same age child... I don't know them but my next door neighbour is very good friends with their next door neighbour (both elderly) and she likes to fill me in LOL.

If it isn't the same people then it is a massive coincidence

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh ok, if they're only a few doors down thats different. I guess you need to cover every eventuality...If you agree to collect, will there always be someone there with your boys? etc...also wouId having mindees there when yours are going to bed become an issue? ? I do know I would charge more for the unsociable hours. say have your usual fee up to a certain time only then charge me for late nights early mornings.

May 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Shift work is REALLY tiring! I have been doing 6.30am starts, but only up to 6pm for the past 10 months. It really affects the other children that you want to take on to care for.

I only had the children for a maximum of 3 days per week, and this was enough with funny hours. I can't imagine being able to cope with a 5.15am start... or an 11.30pm finish! And how many days a week will you be doing it for?

Think about when will you sleep, do paperwork, plan, spend time with your own family etc.... What other children are you going to be caring for during the day? How will it affect them?

Personally having done shift work, if you are going to charge for the actual hours that they are using, I would seriously charge WAY more that £6 per hour for those sorts of times! I would be thinking more like £10 per hour from 5am-7am, then £7 per hour 7am-8am for early shifts. And £7 per hour 6pm-8pm and £10 8pm-midnight.

And NO!!! I wouldn't be picking them up or dropping them off... even if they lived next door! How early do you want to be getting up and going to bed in order to be ready to be out of the door to collect them or getting home to finish tidying up?!?!

BTW.. it's your decision in the end, but I can't see myself doing shift-work again. It's not worth the hassle, stress or money!

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It does sound hard work, at the end you decide hourly rate and unsocialble hour rate is fairly reasonable also you are doing a big job picking and droppin i wouldnt do it, it can be really tiring!!! Good luck with it dear!!

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I have found out a bit more, and don't think I will take it on. Also spoke to DH about it and although he would support me he did worry about the hours.

I have messaged her back just giving her a rough idea of the costs as one point she made was wanting to establish some figures. It is a shame, would have liked a little one again, plus my other mindee would have loved it being the only girl LOL!

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i think you've made a wise decision hon. 5.30 starts and 11.30pm finishes are very hard when you are also working the other end of the day with outher little ones.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree completely Emma. It would have been exhausting. Maybe another little girl will pop along soon xx

july 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm this is just a thought, would it not be possible to have overnight care? At least that way they can go to bed, get up with you?