Please comment on this situation
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Please comment on this situation

I have been approached by someone looking for childcare for either one or two days a week starting in Feb 2014 (approx. 18 months away). I haven't had any enquiries this far ahead before so not really sure what to do.

I was thinking of asking for a retainer of £10 per week until the children start with me in order to keep the place free (I understand that if the care was required to start sooner than Feb 2014 I would need to have the place available). Is £10 too much to ask?????

The second option I thought about was to ask for a larger deposit (I would usually just ask for a week's deposit).

The third option was to contact her in about a year's time (still 6 months from start date) to see whether I had a vacancy.

At this moment in time I can accommodate the days & hours required.

Any advice/suggestions etc. would be really helpful. I am still very much a newbie!!

Thanks xx

oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

As it is so far away i would get them to call back in a year, it's a long time to hold a spaceThen if you do still have a space to offer then get a retainer/deposit.

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

What I do is, I say I will hold the place free of charge until someone else wants it. I went a whole year without a single enquiry last year so it could be the same for you.
    Then if I do get another enquiry I can either decide to say the place has been taken or ask for a fee to hold it.
    Or I say it's too far in advance and come back at a later date and see if I still have a space available.
    I wouldn't know how much to charge to keep a space for that long

Not much help...sorry
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I ask them to contact me back about 2 months before they are ready to start. I Have no idea what I'll be doing in a few months never mind a year!!

Hth

Apr 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your replies. I initially said I'd make contact nearer the time, but was thinking about it last night and thought about myself when I was looking for childcare when my daughter was young. Slightly different situation but we had her place at nursery booked when she was a week old! It was a relief when I knew my daughter had somewhere to go when I returned to my old job.

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    I ask them to contact me back about 2 months before they are ready to start. I Have no idea what I'll be doing in a few months never mind a year!!

Hth
    This is what I would do and then charge a retainer or take a £200 deposit to hold the place from that point.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

NCMA actually recommend not charging a retainer for more than 12 weeks.

This is because if you get to nearer the time and can't offer the place you have to repay all the retainer because you can no longer offer the space you have saved. I think it is really odd to be looking so far ahead, have they had the baby yet? If not that is another big no no.

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I would maybe ask them to visit and have a chat. If they like you (and why wouldn't they ) ask them to contact you nearer the time and in the meantime you will keep them advised if your circumstances change. I wouldn't take any money though x

Apr 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, you all talk a lot of sense! I've arrange to meet with the Mother. she seemed quite anxious on the phone and I didn't want her to stress about finding childcare, even though it's so far in the future.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

if she really wants a place I'd be tempted to tell her come back in about September 2013. Then make it clear to her that she at that point would need to pay 50% fees for the remainder of the term (if you can afford to offer that) and then pay a months deposit.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got