childminding with a dog in the house.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default childminding with a dog in the house.

hi all i`m not sure if anyone remembers me , but now ive passed my childminders level 3 and passed my 1st aid course, next week i got my EYFS meeting ad then the registration procedures with ofsted.

how does the risk assessments apply for dog owners .

i`ve got a stafffordshire bull terrier and hes soo friendly he loves my daughter aged 10 and all her mates come round to play .

thanks in advance. em xxx

Registered Childminder since
    May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hiya ive got a dog, big black lab soppy as anything, i risk assessed her i have a record in my diary of when she was wormed/front lined and when due next one, i dont have her around children who are eating, only because she scrounges and the kids feed her i check the garden for mess that kind of thing. Although we dont have to risk assess on paper now so just think about it (i havnt got used to that yet) and where you walk dog if you take mindees and consequently risk assess the places. I have only had a few people put off and they were all dark skinned so am guessing they dont do dogs as pets, everyone else loves her, I have a mindee nrly 2 who says she's coming to play with mya (the dog), not me . On the other hand we are currently puppy sitting a collie x lab, 14 weeks and i couldnt childmind with a puppy around she's doing my head in, she nips, takes toys, jumps up, tore ds's tracksuit bottoms by biting them and wouldnt let go,luckily last night tonight Anyway, just risk assess - if people are put off then they are just not right. I always include we have a dog when i advertise and that she is not locked away during minded hours xx
    I love my friends who live inside my laptop xx

apr 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    'good'
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I have always been told that we need a separate area for our dog, which we have.

She is behind the gated off that accesses the dining room during the morning and in the afternoon she goes in an area at the bottom of the garden. The children can see her and she can see them.

To be honest we are a very busy household and I don't think I could cope with having to step over/around the dog as well as toys/children etc.

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 dogs and do all the above post says. I also have a pet policy stating children wont be left unsupervised with the dogs, dog food not left down, strict hygiene etc. I do a written risk assessment so parents are assured Im taking the risks seriously. I always say in my advertising that I have dogs. I think it does put a lot of parents off, especially first time mums, but I have also looked after a child who was petrified of dogs and her parents wanted her to get used to dogs - from me having to pick her up to get her in the house (shes 5) she now rolls around the floor playing with them!

Post Thanks / Like

brill, that has set my mind at ease . i will male sure i put in my advertisements that i have a dog and will do risk assessment. i know parents might be put off when i say a staffy , but hes soo good with kids.

these ppl give staffs a bad name . em xxx

THANKYOU XXX

Oct 012
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a cat. She always runs away when my 2 yo nephew is around. How can i ensure that the children I CM get used to the cat and vice-versa- the cat getting used to them?